network storage related questions..

It worked. :smiley: Thank you I’ll post if I have any other questions.

um i had to switch harddrives…anywho i cant get the share to work. edited samba config so that its pointed to the right /mnt even reloaded dietpi. all i get is the network error popup when i try to go to its share through the ip //192.168.1.12. not sure what i didnt do.

EDIT: sigh i restarted my computer one time and the dumb thing let me log in…so dumb… :rofl:

one other question. is is easier to use a computer with linux on it to copy files to a ext4 samba share or are you able to copy from a windows computer to a ext4 network share? as right now my hdd is formatted to poopy ntfs and it causes the cpu to freak out when i try to download something.

Windows 10 did not support ext4 (yet) as it require a special build https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/access-linux-filesystems-in-windows-and-wsl-2/

However I would recommend to use a Linux box to copy data into a ext4 drive

looks like I’ll have to install linux on something…got a recommendation for which flavor? probably going to install it on a old NUC.

Why not using a VM where you connect your disk on. You could use DietPi as well.

not familiar with using a vm. as the device that im using for dietpi is has limited usb speed wouldnt it be much faster to use a pc with linux instead of a vm?

if you have a Windows box running, you could simply install VirtualBox and spin up a VM container. This might be faster and easier than getting a computer from somewhere and install some Linux on top. Basically it doesn’t matter what Linux you are using. Could be DietPi is well as we offer images for native pc as well.

I guess ill try a vm first.

EDIT: kay at the first problem…says no bootable medium found. not sure what im supposed to do.
alright looks like i needed a image of an a os.

Yes you need to download an image for the VM solution you installed. We are offering a couple of at https://dietpi.com/#download

How to install https://dietpi.com/docs/install/

had an error when trying to connect my hdd to it. E_FAIL 0x80004005 error ver_pdm_no_usb_ports

EDIT:some post says to change usb controller but i cant…

EDIT: same as usual lol…i needed to reboot an change before boot…

EDIT: nice thanks a bunch. never have used a vm before. this makes a few things easier…so far i was able to format my hdd to ext4 and make a folder. now i just need to copy my files.

EDIT: how do i make it show a little higher resolution?

In dietpi-config > Display Options > Resolution that should adjust boot/console resolution. On a desktop of course there are other GUI methods.

i installed it on my windows computer i didnt see a place to change it. seems theres a slider…it seems to be for zooming in not changing resolution…as its fuzzy…is the slider all thats there?

EDIT: now im having a different issue…it keeps saying my external hdd is busy with a previous request…

EDIT: okay looks like it was due to the dumb format of the drive lol… *needed to format to exfat in windows from ntfs before my dumb vm would play nice with the drive. so i could format it to ext4 and copy files to it. :slight_smile:

EDIT: hmm now my problem is something is limiting the speed of a transfer to 50mb/s…it should be around 90 to 100mb/s…owell hopefully i dont burn up my drive having it chug beers for 2 days straight…

thank you for the help.

hmm it seems I cant get the vm to add any harddrive that is formatted to ext4 beforehand…i can only get the dumb thing to add the harddrive if its formatted to exfat beforehand then i format it in gparted…it shows up on my computer and windows even says its ready…of course the ext4 formatted hdd doesnt show up in windows as anything but it shows up in hardware and i can copy stuff to it while its connected to a computer with ubuntu on it…im guessing its some windows to vm problem…if i did this on the dietpi i probably would of had no problems at all…sigh…

EDIT: the error im getting is… E_INVALIDARG 0X80070057 USB device ‘Western Digital easystore 25FB’ with UUID {*****} is busy with previous request. please try again later.

EDIT: the fix i used was to manually install the usb driver. it seemed to fix it. now i can mount n copy. :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: now i got my c2 up and running. it uses 132m/1.69gb ram and now that my drive is formatted to ext4 its cpu does nothing. thank you ill probably use this for a while. :slight_smile: