WireGuard Updates not available

Hello,

since version 6.26 I don’t get any updates for WireGuard. There are several new versions of WireGuard available now, but none of them will be installed with G_AGUP and G_AGUP. When I restore my backup from 6.25 and then do the updates, the latest version of WireGuard is installed. What could that be? I use DietPi on an ESXi 6.0.

Regards
Niwre

Hi,

pls can you past output of following

dpkg -l wireguard

@Joulinar

Hi,

you already running latest available WireGuard package 1.0.20200121-2 that was released 10 days ago. There is no newer version.

@Joulinar
Hi,
I restored the backup of 6.25.3, then made the WireGuard update and then updated it again to the current version of DietPi. Without this procedure, I would not have received an update for WireGuard.
Regards
Niwre

today I was running the update to WireGuard 1.0.20200121-2 on my DietPi system v6.28 without issues.

G_AGUP
G_AGUG

I don’t know how to help you now as you have done the update already.

Hi,
then probably just waiting until the next update helps.
Maybe it has something to do with the version of DietPi for the ESXi.
Regards
Niwre

Well DietPi is not an own Operating System or Distribution. DietPi is a bundle of scripts on top of a standard Debian installation. Nothing more. Means the whole software update process is done the same way as on all other Debian distribution. Basically you could turn a normal Dieban into a DietPi by just running 1 script.

Thanks for the explanation, I am unfortunately not familiar with it. I would get in touch with the next WireGuard update, hopefully we can solve the problem.
Regards
Niwre

Joulinar

There is a new WireGuard update again. Unfortunately I cannot install this update with the current version of DietPi either.

for WireGuard the Bullseye repository is used on DietPi. And there is no newer version atm.

https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/net/wireguard

Was something changed there? I always check the WireGuard website, the current version is available for Debian and this is also offered for DietPi 6.25.

At the beginning there where some workarounds implemented to have WireGuard available. But this changed and WireGuard is now being installed from Bullseye repository as you can see on the package preferences:

root@DietPi4:/etc/apt/preferences.d# cat dietpi-wireguard
Package: *
Pin: release n=bullseye
Pin-Priority: -1

Package: wireguard wireguard-dkms wireguard-tools
Pin: release n=bullseye
Pin-Priority: 100
root@DietPi4:/etc/apt/preferences.d#

You would need to wait until WireGuard package will be update on Bullseye

Thank you for your help, I am waiting for the update on Bullseye.

I am also struck at same situation, my wireguard working yesterday but after update it is broken today, i am very new to wireguard. if in backhand side they update there system. what procedure i have to follow to update my system & start working on my machine. if anywhere some guidelines to update system please suggest me

mostly i am using only these commands in my system frequently

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

is these commands will sufficient & my wireguard system will online again when they update or i have to uninstall & install again everything again?

Hi mail2rst,

I don’t think you have similar issue. Because you seems to be able to do an update but somehow thinks are not working afterwards. What I don’t understand is the following:

if in backhand side they update there system.

Whom do you mean by this?
Who is “they”?

Do you run WireGuard as Server or Client?

In case of server pls can you past output of

systemctl status wg-quick@wg0.service
journalctl -u wg-quick@wg0.service

I installed two wireguard’s one on my home raspberry pi (with dietpi) & second on google cloud with there debian image. My batch file update are running in night same time & both virtual machines was working wirgaurd on Sunday. In Monday night early morning when update batch files run both machines break down. In dietpi local machine I format the card & reinstall dietpi & still not put wirguard & wait till all updated from there owner will complete . But on google cloud side I got these errors. I think in dietpi side I received these type errors also but I am not able to run these command because that machine already formatted. i am running wireguard server on linux(debian/dietpi) & access via android app clients

my update bash file run these commands
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo reboot

systemctl status wg-quick@wg0.service
wg-quick@wg0.service - WireGuard via wg-quick(8) for wg0
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/wg-quick@.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2020-02-09 16:00:24 UTC; 1 day 23h ago
Docs: man:wg-quick(8)
man:wg(8)
https://www.wireguard.com/
https://www.wireguard.com/quickstart/
https://git.zx2c4.com/wireguard-tools/about/src/man/wg-quick.8
https://git.zx2c4.com/wireguard-tools/about/src/man/wg.8
Process: 752 ExecStart=/usr/bin/wg-quick up wg0 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Main PID: 752 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Feb 09 16:00:24 wiregaurd systemd[1]: Starting WireGuard via wg-quick(8) for wg0…
Feb 09 16:00:24 wiregaurd wg-quick[752]: [#] ip link add wg0 type wireguard
Feb 09 16:00:24 wiregaurd wg-quick[752]: RTNETLINK answers: Operation not supported
Feb 09 16:00:24 wiregaurd wg-quick[752]: Unable to access interface: Protocol not supported
Feb 09 16:00:24 wiregaurd wg-quick[752]: [#] ip link delete dev wg0
Feb 09 16:00:24 wiregaurd wg-quick[752]: Cannot find device “wg0”
Feb 09 16:00:24 wiregaurd systemd[1]: wg-quick@wg0.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Feb 09 16:00:24 wiregaurd systemd[1]: Failed to start WireGuard via wg-quick(8) for wg0.
Feb 09 16:00:24 wiregaurd systemd[1]: wg-quick@wg0.service: Unit entered failed state.
Feb 09 16:00:24 wiregaurd systemd[1]: wg-quick@wg0.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.

===================
journalctl -u wg-quick@wg0.service
– Logs begin at Sun 2020-02-09 16:00:22 UTC, end at Tue 2020-02-11 15:41:52 UTC. –
Feb 09 16:00:24 wiregaurd systemd[1]: Starting WireGuard via wg-quick(8) for wg0…
Feb 09 16:00:24 wiregaurd wg-quick[752]: [#] ip link add wg0 type wireguard
Feb 09 16:00:24 wiregaurd wg-quick[752]: RTNETLINK answers: Operation not supported
Feb 09 16:00:24 wiregaurd wg-quick[752]: Unable to access interface: Protocol not supported
Feb 09 16:00:24 wiregaurd wg-quick[752]: [#] ip link delete dev wg0
Feb 09 16:00:24 wiregaurd wg-quick[752]: Cannot find device “wg0”
Feb 09 16:00:24 wiregaurd systemd[1]: wg-quick@wg0.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Feb 09 16:00:24 wiregaurd systemd[1]: Failed to start WireGuard via wg-quick(8) for wg0.
Feb 09 16:00:24 wiregaurd systemd[1]: wg-quick@wg0.service: Unit entered failed state.
Feb 09 16:00:24 wiregaurd systemd[1]: wg-quick@wg0.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.

well seems something went wrong during your nightly update. Maybe you’re missing linux-headers. To resolve this, you could try installing the linux-headers corresponding to your kernel version.

apt-get install wireguard-dkms wireguard-tools linux-headers-$(uname -r)

Is there are reason why you are running apt-get dist-upgrade next to apt-get upgrade

Thanks @ Joulinar, you are very helpful. I am newbie in linux, & try to safeguard my servers by updating them frequently, as my both servers expose to outside I want to protect them as much as possible.

So from my learning, these three commands update the operating system to currently benchmark,

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

please guide me if these “apt-get dist-upgrade next to apt-get upgrade” have adverse effect. I can change my update bash files. My update bashfile executed each week, please suggest me what things/commands to be need in our update bashfiles so that our server protected from broot forces. I am linux learner/lover & try to polish my program as I learned. thanks
this command these results

apt-get install wireguard-dkms wireguard-tools linux-headers-$(uname -r)

Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
linux-headers-4.9.0-12-amd64 is already the newest version (4.9.210-1).
wireguard-dkms is already the newest version (0.0.20200121-2).
wireguard-tools is already the newest version (1.0.20200121-2).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

something seems to be wrong on your system. I guess you would need to remove the wireguard stack and try to get a clean install. Somehow WireGuard is not able to find the correct kernel header.

sudo apt-get remove wireguard
sudo apt autoremove
reboot

once done try to install WireGuard again.