WireGuard Updates not available

Thanks, i will reinstall wire guard again,

what you suggest for upgrade bash command, what things to be needed & what not? only operating system & security purpose. not for any other software or application running on it.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

The upgrade option only installs new version of the packages that are already installed on the system (and yes, kernel updates belong to them).

However, sometimes the updates change dependencies: for example, a new version of a package will no longer depend on a library that you have installed, or will require installation of additional libraries. The upgrade option will never remove installed packages that you no longer actually need.

However, the dist-upgrade option can “intelligently” handle changes in the dependencies system. This includes removing packages that are no longer necessary or resolve conflicts between packages that arose because of changes in the dependencies.

You should decide between both. From my point of view, it doesn’t make sense to run them together.

upgrade

upgrade is used to install the newest versions of all packages
    currently installed on the system from the sources enumerated in
    /etc/apt/sources.list. Packages currently installed with new
    versions available are retrieved and upgraded; under no
    circumstances are currently installed packages removed, or packages
    not already installed retrieved and installed. New versions of
    currently installed packages that cannot be upgraded without
    changing the install status of another package will be left at
    their current version. An update must be performed first so that
    apt-get knows that new versions of packages are available.

dist-upgrade

dist-upgrade in addition to performing the function of upgrade,
    also intelligently handles changing dependencies with new versions
    of packages; apt-get has a "smart" conflict resolution system, and
    it will attempt to upgrade the most important packages at the
    expense of less important ones if necessary. So, dist-upgrade
    command may remove some packages. The /etc/apt/sources.list file
    contains a list of locations from which to retrieve desired package
    files. See also apt_preferences(5) for a mechanism for overriding
    the general settings for individual packages.

thanks after your recommendation i remove my wiregurd & reinstall it again, even then it was not working. then i carefully check it showing me wireguard-tools are out of dated on my machine & new one on upstream wireguard repository. then i remove the wiregurad-tools & reinstall them again . after that wiregurad start working fine. so the trouble was from wireguard-tools

that’s strange because you reported wireguard tool up-to-date

wireguard-tools is already the newest version (1.0.20200121-2).

i think it is upgraded now is

Debian [module – v0.0.20200205 & tools – v1.0.20200206]

now for debian

https://www.wireguard.com/install/

yes, however on DietPi WireGuard is being installed from Bullseye repository, which was not updated until now. So don’t be confused if you will have a different version on your DietPi device.

https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/net/wireguard

For future reference if I am using wireguard, I have to take care of these packages. if anything new come from up I have to install it on my machine by removing the old one & install new individually.

sudo apt-get remove wireguard-dkms
sudo apt-get remove wireguard-modules
sudo apt-get remove wireguard-tools

sudo apt-get install wireguard-dkms
sudo apt-get install wireguard-modules
sudo apt-get install wireguard-tools

or

sudo apt install wireguard
for everything.

Is I have to create new keys and generate client again or system can reuse old keys/clients. this time i regenerate keys & clients. but if these updates are frequent then personally i want to reuse them

honestly I don’t understand why you like to remove/install WireGuard once a new version is out. This should not be needed. Usually apt-get update and apt-get upgrade will update your installation if needed.

OK, i will wait for next update will come then i will checked what happen. if found some trouble i will come back here. but for now everything is working for me. thanks for all your help. dietpi is fantastic software. i want to thanks the administrator of this dietpi software/operating system. with there hardwork & knowledge our machines are working 24/7 happily, thanks

More generally, if you haven’t already I would suggest looking into both fail2ban and unattended-upgrades as packages that might be useful to you (although the latter takes a little configuring to get running properly).

The former can be installed within DietPi, the latter would be via apt or apt-get.

Joulinar

is there any reason to switch to bullseye? In the meantime there is the second update for WireGuard and not even the older update is available on bullseye, in software development these are light years.

Hi,

well if I check my available updates, I see the “old second” packages available. So they are there.

wireguard-dkms/testing 0.0.20200215-2 all [aktualisierbar von: 0.0.20200215-1]
wireguard-tools/testing 1.0.20200206-2 armhf [aktualisierbar von: 1.0.20200206-1]
wireguard/testing 1.0.20200206-2 all [aktualisierbar von: 1.0.20200206-1]

same one the Debian package website

https://packages.debian.org/en/bullseye/wireguard-dkms

The latest updates that are released by Wireguard 3 days ago are not yet available on Bullseye. Even on sid, this packages are available since today only. I checked WireGuard website on weekend and packages where marked outdated but changed today. So I expect Bullseye repro will be updated in next days.

Joulinar

many thanks for your response. Then I probably missed the last update, I always looked on the website https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/net/wireguard for the latest updates available.