Virtualbox doesnt start DietPi

Using the DietPi_VirtualBox-x86_64-(Stretch) version for Virtualbox, tried it 4 times with the same result, hostcomputer windows 7 64bits, sofar all linux os are working without any problem but DietPi not…

Hi,

Especially tested here for you on Windows 7 64bit, VirtualBox 5.1.32 , imported DietPi_VirtualBox-x86_64-(Stretch).ova and it’s running from a USB key. No problem.

Sorry, can’t replicate it here.

Can your Hardware support a 64bit guest OS? I am on an oldish HP i5 3rd gen and it will not run 64bit guests (Win 10 64bit). I’ve asked previously about 32bit VMs being generated.

Hi,

Yes, for sure, hardware run with Windows 7 64bit and it 10 years old.
If not, it will not run.

Please have a look into download description on: DietPi - Lightweight justice for your SBC!

The VirtualBox virtual machine is great for those occasions where SBC performance just isn’t enough.
Run one of these > on any x86_64 PC/server > and still get the same great DietPi features and experience.

Yes, and the answer was: DietPi Community Forum - Welcome to the DietPi OS Community Forum

32Bit VMs - #2 by MichaIng

As we so far just offered 64bit WMs I guess we have to work here and there on 32 bit implementation …

Stay tuned or follow on github …

Update: https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/issues/804#issuecomment-361894496

At the moment all time goes into bugfix and support for DietPi v6.x.

Sorry.

Plenty of evidence that not all hardware will run 64bit guest even with a 64bit host.

e.g. I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests - virtualbox.org

Yes I know it has gone to V6.0 but a V6.0 32bit VM would be useful for older hardware.

Sorry, better have to said: yes, Intel Core2Duo with VT-x enable via BIOS without UEFI.

Some times you need to enable PAE/NX

If you have such hardware, you can build one.
Sorry, for me lack of 32bit hardware.

Yeah, I thought first, this should be an easy one, just adding some x32 hardware recognition, APT will doing the remaining. But actually we offer many software titles via their github repo or even worse other deb archive sources. Some of them do not even offer x32 binaries.

To be sure we would need to test all software titles, manually adding checks and adjusted binary sources to many of them.

So add x32 support for DietPi core, should be quite easy, but assuring this for all of our software titles, is a huge task, just for an in theory small amount of old affected hardware.

But yeah, your host CPU needs VT-x or AMD-V to be enabled. Check if it is supported an enabled within BIOS/UEFI.

Fair enough :smiley: