[Solved]How to connect outside of dietpi network

I’m afraid no way to disable DHCP… I looked in every single angle of all router’s pages, but I didn’t find it. Or, at least, it is not evident where it is. Maybe blinded under some other voices…

maybe better to ask on a Vodafon user forum on your router

• if there is an option to set a custom DNS within DHCP settings
  • if it is possible to disable DHCP fully
  • how to access a DDNS domain inside your local network

I try to look around something but in every post, I saw the Vodafone Station has not the possibility to disable DHCP.
I just found this article, but I’m not sure is useful for me: https://www.reddit.com/r/pihole/comments/igd150/in_case_other_germans_are_here_because_of_the/
Does it make sense for my purposes?

That could work in your case and it’s worth to try it.

is it dangerous for the rest of the network?
Please keep in mind I have a phone number, smart tv, and a lot of other devices connected through wifi.

Indeed something that might gonna work. In addition to tweak the router, you would need to activate DHCP inside PiHole with the settings your router has before.

What up settings your DietPi device has actually?

I’m not sure what you meant.
For the moment I just set a static IP and installed the Pihole as suggested some message ago…

well the idea would be to configure DHCP on your router that way that it contains a single ip address as ip rage. It would be the ip of your DietPi device. And to further support your other devices on your network, you would need to activate DHCP inside PiHole.Best would be to use a range that did not include DietPi device ip.

Thanks again.
summing up:
step 1: I have to configure my router with a single IP range (i.e. 192.168.1.99 - 192.168.1.99). I can do it on my router’s Ipv4 page. Should this number be different from Dietpi’s IP address? Mine is 192.168.1.15
step 2: I have to enable the DHCP inside Pihole with an IP range that has not included the Dietpi’s address (i.e. 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.250 . How can I do it?
step 3: all the other devices will be automatically connected using the first IP addresses included in the range between 100 and 250. Is this correct?

Is that all? Should this work even if some of my devices are connected through ethernet and others through wifi?

Last question: How do I say to the router (or to the Pihole maybe) that my DDNS is “XYZ” to be reached in and outside of my network?

1. set Ip range on your router to 192.168.1.15 -192.168.1.15
  2. enable DHCP inside PiHole Settings > DHCP
  3. use range 192.168.1.30 - 192.168.1.200
  4. restart your device inside your network to retrieve new settings
  5. your device should show up on DHCP leases section
  6. this is applicable for all device, doesn’t matter if Ethernet or WiFi
  7. if there are issues you simply could rollback

if this is working well, we could have a look to your DDNS.

Sorry Joulinar ,
I have to try those steps, when we are not working with home network.
Meanwhile i’m trying to understand some of your suggestions.
Nr.4: which device should I restart? Do you mean the raspberry?
Nr.5: what does it means that the device will show up the DHCP leases?

You need to restart the network clients you have. Mobile devices, smart TV. Whatever you have in your network.

The lease section is a table inside Pihole > Settings > DHCP. All devices that use PiHole as DHCP server will be listed there.

I just realize that after the backup I made to try to clean the Pi from useless software (see this https://dietpi.com/forum/t/solved-how-to-clean-dietpi-from-useless-software/6079/4 topic), I can’t connect to pihole too.

same issue as PiHole as well is based on the web server.

Yes, I imagined… let’s solve the other topic then I’ll try to follow the suggested steps.

Look like it is working
:slight_smile:
I’m just wondering if this could be a sort of a bottle neck using a lot of devices simultaneously.
Anyway, which are the next steps to configure the ddns?

ok if I understood your router is still updating your DDNS IP if needed. Correct? If yes, thats fine and no need to change anything on this.

Now, to fix access locally, you would need to set a custom DNS entry inside PiHole to point to your local system.

1. open PiHole
  2. Local DNS
  3. DNS Records
  4. Domain: your.ddns.com
  5. IP Address: 192.168.1.15
  6. Add

This will save the entry and your clients should resolve your ddns locally with the IP address of now. You could test as follow if you have a Windows client

nslookup your.ddns.com

I’ve just realized I have another problem.
In my network, I’ve already a PC with Ubuntu and some virtual machine in which I configure a static IP.
I guess those IP are not in the range we configure in pihole.
What should I do with those? Should I give them a dynamic IP or it’s better to assign an IP in the above range?

it’s totally fine to have STATIC ip. The only thing to do would be to change DNS server from your router ip to pihole ip on STATIC ip configuration.

I understand this and have already done it. The problem is that I can’t reach (with Anydesk) the Ubuntu PC, since it has a static IP out of the dietpi range… Or better: I guess this is the problem :slight_smile: