Second internal NVME SSD as a storage

Hi,

As asked from @Joulinar, I create a new subject about the use of a second internal NVME SSD in Dietpi.

• DietPi version | 9.8.0
  • Distro version | bookworm
  • Kernel version | Linux DietPi 6.1.0-26-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Debian 6.1.112-1 (2024-09-30) x86_64 GNU/Linux
  • Architecture | amd64
  • SBC model | Native PC (x86_64)
  • Power supply used | The one supplied with the miniPC
  • SD card used | One NVME SSD for the OS and another I’m truing to use as a storage
  • Software title | I’m using this miniPC as a Roon server
  • Was the software title installed freshly or updated/migrated? Installed freshly
  • Can this issue be replicated on a fresh installation of DietPi? Yes
  • Bug report ID | 30940b72-ef67-4f39-8c6e-39b5fd4f1be9

I would like to use the whole size of the second internal NVME SSD for storage, in order to keep it safe if ever I have to reinstall Dietpi on the OS SSD.
But for now it seems that I can only use an part of the NVME corresponding to the size of the NVME SSD on which the dietpi OS is installed. It is strange though, cause fdisk sees the real size of all the disks (3,6 TB for the one I’m trying to use as a storage).
What I did after clean install of Dietpi (and uptdate), Roon Server, and Samba Server through dietpi-software:
1/ I mounted the 3,6 TB NVME SSD and named it as “/mnt/FichiersMusicaux”.
2/ I ckecked if it was seen in Roon and it was. I defined it as the Roon Storage.
3/ I checked if it was seen in Windows on my laptop as a shared folder in the “Dietpi” shared folder, and it was. I’m able to copy files from my laptop but to a certain amount, I’m not allowed to use the whole 3,6 TB of the disk.
I guess the server is dietpi and the client is Roon application.

For the following questions, I’m sorry but I don’t understand the meaning so I can’t answer : which protocol or service is used ?

Many thanks in advance for your help, cause I’m totally lost.

How do you see it in Windows? Do you use SAMBA? SCP? FTP? Any other app?

Thanks for answering.
I have installed samba server on dietpi, but I did not realized any samba share.
When I mount the 3,6 TB NVME SSD as /mnt/“name of the disk”, it just appears in the dietpi folder in Windows net search when I search the IP address of dietpi.

by default, you will see the standard share only. Not a mounted drive. Did you change anything on your smb.conf?

cat /etc/samba/smb.conf

Here are the results of cat /etc/samba/smb.conf :

root@DietPi:~# cat /etc/samba/smb.conf

[global]

workgroup = WORKGROUP
        server string = %h server
        dns proxy = no
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 1000
        syslog only = no
        syslog = 0

panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d

security = user
        encrypt passwords = true
        passdb backend = tdbsam
        obey pam restrictions = yes
        unix password sync = yes

passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
        pam password change = yes
        map to guest = bad user

load printers = no
        printcap name = /dev/null
        disable spoolss = yes

[dietpi]
        comment = DietPi Share
path = /mnt
        browseable = yes
        create mask = 0664
        directory mask = 0775
        valid users = dietpi
        writeable = yes
max connections = 32

how does it behave if you try to change the export to /mnt/FichiersMusicaux

How can I do that ?

well you changed it already, isn’t it?? Because our default is /mnt/dietpi_userdata and not /mnt

Anway, we have a small how-to within our online docs File Servers Options - DietPi.com Docs
Just replace /Path/To/Directory with the mount point of your external drive.

Now in windows net share folder, when I search the IP address of Dietpi, it leads only to the 3,6TB NVME SSD, I lost dietpi_userdat, I don’t know if it’s important.
Anyway, I guess it changed things in a good way for me cause I don’t get any size limitation error message when I copy on “FichiersMusicaux” from my laptop, but I now get a new error message indicating I need a authorization to copy files to the share folder…
How must the permissions and user/group stuff be put in dietpi in order to be able to copy anything I want to the storage disk?

I changed the user-group in diepi-explorer for /mnt/FichiersMusicaux : it was root-root and I put dietpi-dietpi, and everything seems to be ok now.
Thanks a lot @Joulinar for your help.
Now I would like to know if it would be possible to share another disk (USB this time) to save my Roon backups. How to add a samba share ? In smb.conf, I see only one.
Thanks !

You would need to add another section like this

[dietpi2]
        comment = DietPi 2nd Share
        path = /mnt/to/new/folder
        browseable = yes
        create mask = 0664
        directory mask = 0775
        valid users = dietpi
        writeable = yes
        max connections = 32

Relace /mnt/to/new/folder with the mount point of your USB drive

Thanks a lot. I guess I have to edit /etc/samba/smb.conf by using the nano command, right?

yes correct

Thanks again for all your help with that !