PiVPN with Wireguard and PiHole not working correctly

Hello there,

sorry for my english first.

Now I have a problem with my configuration. I have installed PiVPN and set it up with Wireguard and PiHole. My VPN connection works and I can access my DietPi vie SSH. But thats it. No other connection is working.

I set up PiHole via my Routers DNS entry. My Router is DHCP Server and give my clients my PiHole as first DNS.

When I connect via VPN now I have no internet connection and can not access my other Pi via SSH. The net.ipv4.ip_forward=1 option is enabled in my sysctl.conf.

Where can I configure this correctly or disable PiHole usage?

Thanks

Hi,

Pihole is responsible for DNS resolution only. Means you should be able to access your local network via direct IP. If this is not working, it has nothing to do with PiHole. On your VPN clients, I would set your VPN serevr/PiHole as DNS. I guess they are running on same SBC. Inside Pihole > DNS settings, you would need to activate Listen on all interfaces

Ok, so I changed on my Wireguard Android Client the DNS Server. PiHole and VPN are on the same machine (Pi 4). The settings are already set. But it still not working. Either internet nor ssh to another pi.

if you connect to other systems using SSH, do you use DNS name or an IP address. If it is an IP address, this hast nothing to do with PiHole. Most probably a routing issue. can you shares output of sysctl net.ipv4.ip_forward

I access them via ip adress.

The output of sysctl net.ipv4.ip_forward is:

net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1

Hey everyone,

I have a very similar, if not the exact same problem.

I hope this is not against some forum rules but to save me the time to type every detail of my problem, here is a Link to Reddit, where I already started a discussion which is not yet resolved: https://www.reddit.com/r/WireGuard/comments/kytwf0/just_another_why_is_my_config_not_working_post/

Hope this helps a bit and I will keep you updated if I find the solution.

just a stupid question. Does any of you is using Docker on your Wireguard server?

I had docker installed but uninstsalled it after I haven’t the time to get used to it. Installation and uninstall are made through the software-dialogue.

Haven’t had Docker installed. My Setup only consists of PiHole and Wireguard.

Is it possible to get the following before and after you connect to the VPN?

ip -4 addr; ip -4 ro li table all; ip -4 ru; iptables-save -c; netstat -lnp

and point out which service is not running after the vpn is up.

ok I was asking because Docker block routing functionality by default https://docs.docker.com/network/iptables/#docker-on-a-router
But if it is not installed, it should not have an impact

trendy
It’s about Wireguard server installed on the DietPi device where it is not possible to reach systems behind DietPi/Wireguard server. Something wrong on routing from wg0 interface into local network.

Is it possible to save the output in a file? That’s a lot of output i get with this commands.

I thought as much.

Maybe you can use pastebin?

The output befor vpn connection:

http://sprunge.us/qAtrEZ

The output after vpn connection:

http://sprunge.us/dWRCKL

Only the last command is pasted in both files.

Ok i take a look and post all soon

as well you could execute them one by one and post the output in separat files to get more visibility

ip -4 addr
ip -4 ro li table all
ip -4 ru
iptables-save -c
netstat -lnp

Try it like this:

sudo ip -4 addr > file.txt; sudo ip -4 ro li table all >> file.txt; sudo ip -4 ru >> file.txt; sudo iptables-save -c >> file.txt; sudo ss -tulnp >> file.txt

Hey guys,

Ok, first up: My problem is IPv6 only, so I kinda feel like hijacking this Thread. If you think I should open a new one, please let me know.

I also executed the suggested commands (although not IPv6 specific I guess) and this is th output before connecting the client to the server:

ip -4 addr:

1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
    inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP group default qlen 1000
    inet 192.168.0.3/24 brd 192.168.0.255 scope global eth0
9: wg0: <POINTOPOINT,NOARP,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1420 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
    inet 192.168.0.3/24 scope global wg0

ip -4 ro li table all:

default via 192.168.0.1 dev eth0 onlink
192.168.0.0/24 dev eth0 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.0.3
192.168.0.0/24 dev wg0 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.0.3
broadcast 127.0.0.0 dev lo table local proto kernel scope link src 127.0.0.1
local 127.0.0.0/8 dev lo table local proto kernel scope host src 127.0.0.1
local 127.0.0.1 dev lo table local proto kernel scope host src 127.0.0.1
broadcast 127.255.255.255 dev lo table local proto kernel scope link src 127.0.0.1
broadcast 192.168.0.0 dev eth0 table local proto kernel scope link src 192.168.0.3
broadcast 192.168.0.0 dev wg0 table local proto kernel scope link src 192.168.0.3
local 192.168.0.3 dev eth0 table local proto kernel scope host src 192.168.0.3
local 192.168.0.3 dev wg0 table local proto kernel scope host src 192.168.0.3
broadcast 192.168.0.255 dev eth0 table local proto kernel scope link src 192.168.0.3
broadcast 192.168.0.255 dev wg0 table local proto kernel scope link src 192.168.0.3

ip -4 ru:

0:	from all lookup local
32766:	from all lookup main
32767:	from all lookup default

iptables-save -c:

And now, weird:
netstat -lnp:

-bash: netstat: command not found

After connecting to the wireguard server, the only output that changed was the missing

default via 192.168.0.1 dev eth0 onlink

in the ip -4 ro li table all output.

If your problem is with IPv6 only, then these commands will not give any useful output.
Better start a new thread and we can discuss it there.
I have updated the commands with sudo (in case you run them as dietpi user) and changed the obsolete netstat with ss (old habits die hard).