Odroid XU4 Samba speed what is your best ?

Hey Guys!

I have just ordered my odroid xu4 from hardkernel, and paid the half of the original price of the product to taxes, but now the XU4 is in my room.
Firstly with dietpi i can’t reach the advertised (on the hardkernel site) 110 Mb/s read speed and 60 Mb/s write speed with samba on a gigabit network and ntfs/ext4 harddrive and ideal stuffs :smiley: It can’t goes higher than 50 Mb/s read and write :frowning:
But with Open Media Vault debian distro ext4 harddisk; i can reach the 113 Mb/s read speed and 67 Mb/s write speed on samba.

How it could be possible also on dietpi ?
And tell me how many Mb/s is your best speed that you can reach with copying big movie files :slight_smile: ?

And an other thing… I prefered to use this odroid for media center too, like the raspberry pi can used, but i got little scratchy noise, and cracks in audio (they were really little, but bad enough to make anoying the homecinema); and the video was also a bit laggy, like the line goes to break sometimes.
The situation was: Samsung tv connected with hdmi, 2.0 sound, 720p or 1080p mkv movies, so really nothing special format :slight_smile:

Somebody got the same results/effects ? How you solved it ?

Hi,

It can’t goes higher than 50 Mb/s read and write

Known limitation with 3.x kernel. You may want to try the 4.9 kernel provided by Odroid and Meveric’s repo (still in devolpment):
https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/issues/926#issue-226591577

I get around 80MB/s transfer rates with 4.9:
https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/issues/899#issuecomment-298228750

And an other thing… I prefered to use this odroid for media center too, like the raspberry pi can used, but i got little scratchy noise, and cracks in audio (they were really little, but bad enough to make anoying the homecinema); and the video was also a bit laggy, like the line goes to break sometimes.

I personally use a Odroid C2 for media centre, so cant offer any advice. Although, you may want to check on the official Odroid forums if other users are reporting the same issues with XU4.

Ok i heard about the kernel limitation in topic of samba transfer speed. But how could it be tricked out with open media vault ? That also use Debian so probably it’s the same kernel and others.
I really appreciate your work with dietpi it’s a huge and fantastic project, I’m just don’t understand what is different in the two different system, with the same Debian main kernel.

Kernel is the core of Linux. Think of it as the drivers for all the hardware that runs on the device.
Newer kernel (drivers), tend to contain increased performance, fixes and various other changes.

3.x is extremely old and lacks some of the new features available to 4.9.

We do not officially support OMV at this time. However, DietPi offers the most of the features with its scripts, and in much lighter installation.