Motioneye start up procedure?

Creating a bug report/issue

I have searched the existing open and closed issues

Required Information

• DietPi version | cat /boot/dietpi/.version
  • Distro version | echo $G_DISTRO_NAME $G_RASPBIAN
  • Kernel version | uname -a
  • Architecture | dpkg --print-architecture
  • SBC model | echo $G_HW_MODEL_NAME or (EG: RPi3)
  • Power supply used | (EG: 5V 1A RAVpower)
  • SD card used | (EG: SanDisk ultra)

Additional Information (if applicable)

• Software title | (EG: Nextcloud)
  • Was the software title installed freshly or updated/migrated?
  • Can this issue be replicated on a fresh installation of DietPi?
    ā† If you sent a ā€œdietpi-bugreportā€, please paste the ID here ā†’
  • Bug report ID | echo $G_HW_UUID

Steps to reproduce

1. ā€¦all dietpi installation completeā€¦ I thinkā€¦
  2. ā€¦All I am asking is how to start motioneye on dietpi
  3. I have done everything that was asked to install diet pi and motioneye
  4. For example, I watched a 20 minute YouTube video in German! And 19 minutes were spent getting dietpi and installing motioneye on my Raspberry Pi 4. Then, in minute 20, waalaa! Motioneye login screen appeared! But no explanation was given as to how to start motioneye!

Expected behaviour

• ā€¦

Actual behaviour

• ā€¦

Extra details

• ā€¦

Our official documentation is here, not on youtube:
https://dietpi.com/docs/software/camera/#motioneye

The web interface is accessible via port 8765:

• URL = http://<your.IP>:8765
  • User = admin
  • Password = not required

Passwords can be configured in the web interface.

Jappe,

Your link sent me back to the German video.
The other links you directed me to donā€™t say what I am looking for. I want the preface: ā€œto start Motioneye on dietpi, do this:ā€¦ā€
Thanks
Ooops, on edit, I need to try the port you suggest. Hold on while I try that.

Above the video link is some text where it is explained:

Jappe,

You basically answered my question. I just wanted to know how to start Motioneye. The fact that it didnā€™t work tells me alot.

The result I got just now was not a login to the motioneye app. But shouldnā€™t I close this thread and try to find my problem?
One more idea: in the German video, the command prompt is motioneye#~:

But my command prompt is dietpi#

How would I boot to the motioneye command prompt?

Thanks
Ps- my SSH with putty works great and the dietpi pings well.

This is just the hostname of your device, there is no CLI for motioneye.
There is a service created which starts automatically on boot, you can check with dietpi-service and/or

systemctl status motion

Result:
Unit motion.service could not be found

Fyi - upon startup I launched motioneye. I saw the code lines with motioneye scrollā€¦(on edit, I did a second install and did not see code scrollā€¦) Then when I go back and try to reinstall motioneye, that is not allowed seemingly saying motioneye is installed.

Jappe,
The real issue here is while I have been using Linux for years, I am a newbie on dietpi and am certainly doing something wrong on install.

Hm this is weird, you installed it via dietpi-software?
I did a installation on my testsystem and I get:

root@TestPi3B:~# systemctl status motion
ā—‹ motion.service - Motion - Security camera monitoring software.
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/motion.service; disabled; preset: enabled)
     Active: inactive (dead)
       Docs: man:motion(1)

There should be also service motioneye:

root@TestPi3B:~# systemctl status motioneye.service 
ā— motioneye.service - motionEye Server
     Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/motioneye.service; enabled; preset: enabled)
     Active: active (running) since Wed 2024-02-07 18:31:37 CET; 1min 44s ago
   Main PID: 5122 (meyectl)
      Tasks: 5 (limit: 1069)
        CPU: 6.157s
     CGroup: /system.slice/motioneye.service
             ā”œā”€5122 /usr/bin/python3 /usr/local/bin/meyectl startserver -c /etc/motioneye/motioneye.conf
             ā””ā”€5151 /usr/bin/python3 /usr/local/bin/meyectl startserver -c /etc/motioneye/motioneye.conf

I have neither of those results.

I have reinstalled twice. I choose motioneye each time from software launcher. I need to go back to basics and read everything two or three times.

All I did was to open dietpi-software, choose motioneye, select ā€œinstallā€ and wait 5 minutes, until installation finished. Then I can just see the services, there is nothing to read or to do to make this work.

Can you please provide more info about your system:

DietPi version | cat /boot/dietpi/.version
Distro version | echo $G_DISTRO_NAME $G_RASPBIAN
Kernel version | uname -a
Architecture | dpkg --print-architecture
SBC model | echo $G_HW_MODEL_NAME or (EG: RPi3)
Power supply used | (EG: 5V 1A RAVpower)
SD card used | (EG: SanDisk ultra)

Also in the video the most time he shows how to install DietPi on your Raspberry Pi, you donā€™t need this part.
When you have installed DietPi, just open a terminal, type in dietpi-software, install motioneye and after it is finished you open your browser and type in http://<your.IP>:8765
You donā€™t need to start motioneye, it is running all the time in the background.
I hope this answers your question.

1 Like

Jappe,
Iā€™ve only been a forum member for two days and I fear Iā€™ve worn out my welcome by being in too big a hurry to read directions carefully and thereby caused you to reply with help that was appreciated, but I found my error. I canā€™t speak to my error in the first download and install, but the current issue arose when I used the ā€œenterā€ key instead of the ā€œspacebarā€ to choose software to install on the dietpi-software screen. All is well now. Thank you! (One tip for anyone reading this: If you are not sure what software is installed, go to dietpi-software and choose ā€œUninstallā€ and you will be shown all the software on your system.)

2024-02-07_19-34

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.