Issue downloading container image - kernel architecture vs. userspace architecture - switch back to 32bit?

bug report form comes after my formless issue desription!

im trying to get paperless-ngx going in a container via docker, portainer, but there is a problem when trying to make portainer download an image: error “no matching manifest for linux/arm/v8 in the manifest list entries”

i tried downloading the image via the stack function of portainer, and directly via images function of portainer. both gave errors.

after a bit of googling there seems to be a difference between the kernel architecture vs. userspace architecture. further up in the same thread is a potential solution: add arm_64bit=0 to config.txt.

would this solution break anything? basically switching back to 32bit how i understand it?
would this solve issue?
how do you other guys deal with this?
are you downloading specific versions of the image?

#######################
Standard bug report form
#######################
[yau] I have searched the existing open and closed issues

Required Information

• DietPi version:
    G_DIETPI_VERSION_CORE=9
    G_DIETPI_VERSION_SUB=7
    G_DIETPI_VERSION_RC=1
    G_GITBRANCH=‘master’
    G_GITOWNER=‘MichaIng’
  • Distro version:
    bullseye 1
  • Kernel version:
    Linux DietPi 6.1.21-v8+ #1642 SMP PREEMPT Mon Apr 3 17:24:16 BST 2023 aarch64 GNU/Linux
  • Architecture:
    armhf
  • SBC model:
    RPi 4 Model B (aarch64)
  • Power supply used:
    standard issue power unit of Raspberry 4 modB
  • SD card used:
    whole system on external ssd (usb), no sd card

Additional Information (if applicable)

• Software title:
    docker, portainer
  • Can this issue be replicated on a fresh installation of DietPi?
    i guess so, yes!

Steps to reproduce

1. try to download an image via portainer ui: Package paperless-ngx · GitHub
  2. error pops: “no matching manifest for linux/arm/v8 in the manifest list entries”

Expected behaviour

image gets downloaded, im happy no bs is going down and consumes hours of my time :smiley:

Actual behaviour

because of error no image is downloaded

This feature has been activated by RPi developer in past for all RPi4 system, forcing the kernel into 64bit mode while the whole userland stays on 32bit. Usually docker should be able to deal with this.

Theoretically you could switch kernel back into 32bit mode but this might not solve your issue as there seems no 32bit docker image for your application at all https://hub.docker.com/r/paperlessngx/paperless-ngx/tags

thank you for your fast response!

i thought i installed the 64bit version of dietpi.

id really like to stay with dietpi, is there a 64bit version?

i can see the version bookworm, bullseye and trixie, but theres no info on the bit version of these images.

am i missing something?

You are running 32bit Debian Bullseye. Looks like an older system as current Debian version is Bookworm.

64bit images are our default that can be found on our download page. DietPi - Lightweight justice for your SBC!

ARMv8 is 64bit while ARMv7 is 32bit.

As there is no migration option from 32bit to 64bit architecture (independent from DietPi or any other os), a new installation would be required. I would recommend using Bookworm image in this case.