DietPi NAS setup, advise wanted

Hello all,

having a Pine64 Rockpro64 SingleBoardComputer , https://www.pine64.org/rockpro64/, and I want it to setup as a NAS.

Can you help me, giving advise?
I’m thinking about the following software / tools:

Desktops:
23 LXDE Ultra lightweight desktop

BitTorrent & Download Tools:
149 NZBGet NZB download manager with web interface

Cloud & Backups:
114 Nextcloud Your own personal cloud based backup/data storage system

System Security:
73 Fail2Ban Protects your system from brute-force attacks

Webserver Stacks:
? LEMP Webserver Nginx / MariaDB / PHP

DNS Servers:
93 Pi-hole A DNS/Web server that will block ads for any device on your network

File Servers:
96 Samba Feature rich file server.
95 vsftpd Feature rich FTP file server

VPN:
97 OpenVPN Easy to use, minimal hassle VPN server

SSH Server Choices:
105 OpenSSH Feature rich SSH server with SFTP/SCP support

Log System Choices:
101 Full Full logging system with Logrotate
102 Full Full logging system with Rsyslog

What about:
Anti-Virus ?
Firewall ?
Backup to a Synology system ?
Ubiquiti Unifi Controller ?
Monitoring Stack ?
Telegraf ?
Influxdb ?
77 Grafana ?
ACME.sh Let’sEncrypt SSL ?
DDNS updater (Gandi) ?

Did I miss any tutorials?

Any help is appreciated!

Hi,

what exactly is your question now? Software installation depends on your needs and on the scenario you like to run.

Desktops:
23 LXDE Ultra lightweight desktop

For which reason you need a desktop?

Webserver Stacks:
? LEMP Webserver Nginx / MariaDB / PHP

a web server sack will be installed along with NextCloud and PiHole. No need to select it separably. Just need to adjust your web server preference.

File Servers:
96 Samba Feature rich file server.
95 vsftpd Feature rich FTP file server

do you need both?

SSH Server Choices:
105 OpenSSH Feature rich SSH server with SFTP/SCP support

You are running Dropbear as SSH server only. If you like to use OpenSSH, change SSH server preference. If you like to use SCP only, it’s enough to instrall OpenSSH client [0]

Log System Choices:
101 Full Full logging system with Logrotate
102 Full Full logging system with Rsyslog

only one can be selected, just change your log method preference

Hi Joulinar

I’m not familiar yet with DietPi, so I’m reading what to do best for setting up a NAS.

Desktop isn’t needed for a headless server but seems easy to maintain with?

Is there a question regarding which Webserver stack has your preferences installing Nextcloud and Pi-hole?

File server, one is needed indeed, but what is prefered to use with MacOS and Windows10?

For SSH, just need a server I guess so I can connect to the NAS, which one is basicly installed by default?

Log system, I think Logrotate will prefer…

Do you have experiences with:

Anti-Virus ?
Firewall ?
Backup to a Synology system ?
Ubiquiti Unifi Controller ?
Monitoring Stack ?
Telegraf ?
Influxdb ?
77 Grafana ?
DDNS updater (Gandi) ?

Or guides to it?

Desktop isn’t needed for a headless server but seems easy to maintain with?

usually there is no desktop needed on a headless system. Majority of applications can be managed via web gui or command line

Is there a question regarding which Webserver stack has your preferences installing Nextcloud and Pi-hole?

It’s fine to stay with default setting (lighttpd)

File server, one is needed indeed, but what is prefered to use with MacOS and Windows10?

Samba should be fine

For SSH, just need a server I guess so I can connect to the NAS, which one is basicly installed by default?

default SSH server is Dropbear. It’s already installed and working. No need to install another SSH server

Monitoring Stack ?
Telegraf ?
Influxdb ?
77 Grafana ?

Influxdb + Grafana are available on dietpi-software. You can use following guide for a full blown monitoring experience IoT — Raspberry Pi Container and System Monitoring with InfluxDB, Telegraf and Grafana | by Dorian Machado | Medium

you can use dietpi-letsencrypt to create your certificates

DDNS updater (Gandi) ?

by default, DietPi supports NoIP. However you can use whatever DDNS you like. Just install it manually

I recommend to have a look into DietPi Documentation - DietPi.com Docs for available software title and general options

Again @Joulinar thx for your fast reply…

Will have a further look and will create my NAS manual which I will share here

So others can review it and help others with the same question in future :smiley:

Hi,

did setup a NAS manual, but size zipped is 6.5MB.

How to share here?

means you have created a HowTo? That’s nice. Best way to share would be creating a new topic on our Community Tutorials section https://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=15

This an example how it could looks like https://dietpi.com/forum/t/guide-dietpi-on-proxmox/4931/1

To setup a NAS (for my own needs as discussed before, but other can possible think and use the the same), I more selected the existing DietPi.com Docs into one Word document as a Setup NAS Howto / Manual and included extra information from external websites into that one document…

Better to review first before posting directly online Joulinar :wink:

ok if you like you can store it on my cloud and I can have a look https://www.magentacloud.de/share/ued6xly1sx

Thank you, dankjewel, danke!

It’s in your storage…

Can you have a review of it if I didn’t make mistakes?

oh wow it’s way more than a simple guide. Will have a look and do some comments. Could take some days due to RL dependency

yes, the goal is to have a fully working NAS system :wink:

Take your time, enjoy the weekend!

Added in the storage, Pi-Hole, to Block Ads on your Samsung, LG, Sony, or Roku Smart TV

Morning Joulinar

did you allready have a change to look / glimp at it?

Greetings!

sorry not yet, quite busy iRL and with the new update v7.0.2 :frowning:

sounds familiar :wink:

Hello Joulinar

Can you have a look?
Danke!

Holy smokes, (I took a look at it as I am interested in a NAS, hope you don’t mind) I DID NOT expect a 114 page manual filled with so many details! You managed to write all that in just 2 months?

Well…

It’s actual all here on this domain, I just combined all relevant articles into one document from what I think of that is to setup a NAS

Please feel free to use it!
If you have any comment please share :wink:

sorry for late response but I was hijacked by private live, trying to catch up open items now.