Dietpi fail to find eithernet connection at boot time

My Dietpi NUC is failed to connect to internet through Ethernet at bootup time. I have all default setting of dietpi upto yesterday, I have using same nuc with dietpi installed pihole, unbound, plex & wireguard & was working everything fine. Yesterday, I have installed docker & docker compose through dietpi-software. & installed adguard, unbound, plex & wireguard through docker compose. Also removed pervious installed software through dietpi software. In backend this time through dietpi only PROFTPD, Docker, Docker-compose installed. After this my dietpi nuc not able to detect eithernet connection. I am able to use system as standalone. After login in dietpi-config I try to change static to dhcp & vice versa connection & also change Debian mirror from global to US, Australia, UK many time but even then system is not able to detect Ethernet connection. As now my machine is not able to sync time & connect Debian mirror. I know I have last resort to reinstall everything again but I prefer if I can reuse my system with same operating system as I know within it everything is working as my containers are up. Please suggest me any solution for this, my nuc not detecting eithernet connection at boot time. Thanks

See my post here. It might help.

Static IP makes network unusable

maya95

Pls don’t mix the topics. Your issue was/is completely different and more related to your environment. As well don’t make such generic statements. As well STATIC IP was working on your network, there was just a challenge with DNS resolution

@Joulinar

OK.

Hello Joulinar
please guide me how i can correct my broken dietpi nuc. thanks

Sure, currently I’m out and online with my mobile only. Will have a look in the evening.

I have tried ip a command not installed, /etc/network/interfaces shows me dhcp & all values 0, resolv.conf 1.1.1.1 1.0.0.1

i think something wrong with name “eth0” , as in past it was something else surely not “eth0”. as my nuc is connected to different DDWRT repeater bridge router & that allotted in past some other name (i think name was like enp2s0f2). as my system reset with default values yesterday & come back to eth0. which never exist. please guide me how i am able to find that old network adapter name & we have to put that number instead of eth0 to make system workable. or we can override the old name with default value with “eth0” (preferable). this is my guess please guide me. i will do any of below provided option only after dietpi experts advice.

some where it is written available options

"You basically have three options:

You disable the assignment of fixed names, so that the unpredictable kernel names are used again. For this, simply mask udev’s .link file for the default policy: ln -s /dev/null /etc/systemd/network/99-default.link
You create your own manual naming scheme, for example by naming your interfaces “internet0”, “dmz0” or “lan0”. For that create your own .link files in /etc/systemd/network/, that choose an explicit name or a better naming scheme for one, some, or all of your interfaces. See systemd.link(5) for more information.
You pass the net.ifnames=0 on the kernel command line
"
sudo nano /etc/default/grub

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
Change to
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=“net.ifnames=0 biosdevname=0”

In past I have installed debian first on my nuc. after that run script dietpi installation to convert debian into dietpi system.

ok can you check following

journalctl -u ifup*
dmesg -l emerg,alert,crit.err
ip a

as well, did you created a backup somewhere in the past?

response of commands

ip a > -bash :ip command not found
dmesg > unknown level ‘crit.err’
journalctl > failed to add filter for units: no data available

there was a typo on the dmesg command

dmesg -l emerg,alert,crit,err

But not having ip command being available worries me. As well journalctl is not returning something. Does ifup eth0 at least do anything?

this command works “dmesg -l emerg,alert,crit,err”. after executing next line show up for next command. so commands executed correctly
alone journalctl works & 1000 of line show up
alone dmesg command works & 1000 line show up
ip a command not exist
ifup etho command not exist

my dell usb keyboard not able to write pipe “|” for dmesg less command

puuh this means you don’t have ip command as well as ifup?? This is more than bad as you will not be able to bring up the network interface without…

Still the question. Do you have a backup? As well can you check installation status of ifupdown package

dpkg -l ifupdown

It should looks like this

root@DietPi3:~# dpkg -l ifupdown
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name           Version      Architecture Description
+++-==============-============-============-================================================
ii  ifupdown       0.8.35       armhf        high level tools to configure network interfaces
root@DietPi3:~#

Looks like you hit the same situation like this user https://dietpi.com/forum/t/removal-of-pi-hole-removed-ip-command-stuck-in-boot-net-wait/4976/1

sorry, dietpi is so stable i never think to backup anything.

with “dpkg -l ifupdown” same line showup as your but in table none for version, architecture & in description(no description available)

it need to have ii at the beginning, indicating the installation status.

Following 3 packages would need to be available

dpkg -l ifupdown iproute2 isc-dhcp-client
1 Like

with this command “dpkg -l ifupdown iproute2 isc-dhcp-client”

in table only shoup for ifupdown,

nothing for iproute2, isc-dhcp-client

one thing more, i have debian install live usb stick available if we can boot from it & repair dietpi. or you suggest better to reinstall everything again.

probably you removed iproute2 and isc-dhcp-client somewhere during your install/unstall procedure. I would recommend to reinstall all 3 packages. as you are offline with the system, you would need to download them on your computer and copy the packages via usb stick to your system. Let’s check the architecture you are running on

dpkg --print-architectur
cat /etc/apt/sources.list

thanks Joulinar,
Its look like i did multiple damage to standard operating system. so instead of repairing it i will reinstall everything again. it will almost same headache. what you suggest?

your could give it a try to download the 3 packages and have them installed. Should not be that complicate and maybe faster than reinstall whole stuf. If you still face issues, you are always good to start from scratch. And once back online, do a backup :wink:

dpkg command show me error & others works, the output from both as this image. https://pasteboard.co/JZudsKU.jpg

sorry again a typo

dpkg --print-architecture