DietPi does not install on Raspberry Pi 5 (fresh install)

Trying to install with pre-configured dietpi.txt a fresh installation on a new SD card on a Raspberry Pi 5 (8GB) and getting the following error:

“The installed operating system does not indicate support for raspberry pi 5”

As per the hint in the screenshot, I also tried it with “os_check=0” in the config.txt but no joy either.

I downloaded the image from the website (which still does not mention Raspberry Pi 5) at DietPi - Lightweight justice for your SBC!.

I also tried to find a release candidate in the Github repo (in case the website did not have the latest version, as I am aware that v8.25 was recently released), but also no joy.

I tried to flash the SD card with both the official Raspberry Pi Imager and balenaEtcher. Made no difference.

Any suggestions?

Just a second post to illustrate where the mention of Raspbery Pi 5 is still missing on the website:

It’s missing because there is no DietPi image for RPi 5 yet, you can not use the image for 2/3/4.
But there is a beta image on github for testing:
https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/6676#issuecomment-1856412915

You need a different RPi 2/3/4 to prepare the image first. Actually we don’t have direct image for RPi5 available.

1 Like

I saw, but Joulinar said in another post that the beta branch does not need to be used anymore because v8.25 is out.

OK, I understand. So to confirm, without using older RPis (to upgrade the image), it is currently not possible to install DietPi headless on RPi5 yet.

Thanks!

Yes you need a different RPi, to perform the file system layout change, as long as we don’t have a direct image.

1 Like

Is there an estimated launch date?

Not that I am aware off. I switched to armbian instead. It doesn’t have headless install but was pretty quick to set up.

if you have different RPi, you can prepare the current ARMv8 image before running on RPI5. Yes, it is an intermediate step, but it works.

─────────────────────────────────────────────────────
 DietPi v8.25.1 : 23:58 - Fri 12/29/23
 - Device model : RPi 5 Model B (aarch64)
 - Uptime : up 1 minute
 - CPU temp : 34 °C / 93 °F : Cool runnings
 - LAN IP : 192.168.0.24 (eth0)
 - Info Text : !!! Raspberry Pi 5 - Bookworm !!!

root@DietPi5:~#

At the moment we are holding back the release of a dedicated image because there are still areas that need to be tested as a lot has changed with the RPi5. New firmware, new file system layout, some overlays not working, RPi guys still renaming packages etc. We also plan to roll out the new RPi firmware to all RPi models, not just the RPi5. Since the Raspberry is the most used device family (over 50% overall usage), we are very cautious about this step. I hope this is a little understandable. We want to be on the safe side before we take this important step instead of realising afterwards that something has broken for our users.

For updates, you can follow Image | Raspberry Pi 5 · Issue #6676 · MichaIng/DietPi · GitHub

1 Like

Yes, totally understanable.

I don’t have another RPI :frowning:

It’s done when it’s done

1 Like

Just use armbian in the meantime, works pretty well for rpi5.

Just to be sure:
So I guess the reason is an additional effort for even producing a full image, right?
Reason why I am asking (again) is, that I would be happy to help to test, however do only have a Raspberry Pi 5 available :wink:

Yes at the end we will have an own image for the RPi5. Actually our main focus is to enable migration to the new firmware package for all RPi user and to allow transition to RPi5 for existing systems.

I now also have a Raspiberry Pi 5.
I only have the boat of the RPI 5 with an image of
Raspberry Pi Os (64Bit) could not work because the RPI4 ARMV8 Images do not work.
The conversion of the Raspberry Pi OS to Dietpi also worked, but the system only runs as a “Generic Device” and is also displayed in the banner.

Some functions that make a “real” raspberry system, e.g. monitor settings, functionales not.
The migration script cannot be carried out either.
As a first AID, this is possible.
Do I have to do the migration script on an RPI4 and then insert the SD card in the RPI5?

Yes

thank you, I had try it and my RPi5 is now booting and running with DietPi !
(speed 2400 or 3000 MHz ) :crazy_face:

1 Like