Argon One Case Fan

Hi all,

I 'm using DietPi on a Pi4 with a Argone ONE Pi 4 Case. Cool little case with a power button and a fan.

After installing the app to control the power button and fan from: https://download.argon40.com/argon1.sh and rebooting, the Power buttons work but i cannot get the FAN to work.

Does anyone have this case and is running Dietpi. Were you able to get the FAN working?

I’m pretty new to Linux, but i found this:

sudo systemctl status argononed.service
● argononed.service - Argon One Fan and Button Service
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/argononed.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2020-07-02 14:09:56 BST; 13min ago
  Process: 513 ExecStart=/usr/bin/python3 /usr/bin/argononed.py (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
 Main PID: 513 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Jul 02 14:09:56 BeastiPi systemd[1]: argononed.service: Service RestartSec=100ms expired, scheduling restart.
Jul 02 14:09:56 BeastiPi systemd[1]: argononed.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 5.
Jul 02 14:09:56 BeastiPi systemd[1]: Stopped Argon One Fan and Button Service.
Jul 02 14:09:56 BeastiPi systemd[1]: argononed.service: Start request repeated too qu
ickly.
Jul 02 14:09:56 BeastiPi systemd[1]: argononed.service: Failed with result 'exit-code
'.
Jul 02 14:09:56 BeastiPi systemd[1]: Failed to start Argon One Fan and Button Service
dietpi@BeastiPi:~$ systemd[1]: Failed to start Argon One Fan and Button Service
-bash: systemd[1]:: command not found

here is the service config

#/lib/systemd/system/argononed.service
--------------------------------------------------
[Unit]
Description=Argon One Fan and Button Service
After=multi-user.target
[Service]
Type=simple
Restart=always
RemainAfterExit=true
ExecStart=/usr/bin/python3 /usr/bin/argononed.py
[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
--------------------------------------------------

Thanks

Seems dietpi is not alone when it comes to issues with the FAN. Seems RetroPie too at somepoint.

Unfortunately, in RetroPie I can’t get the fan to switch on at all. The power button behaves like it’s supposed to, but even setting the fan to ‘Always On’ fails to initialise it. I’ve contacted Argon40 about this issue and they’ve been prompt in getting back to me. They’ve said they’ll test it and will hopefully provide a revised script sometime soon. The fan runs as expected in Raspbian so it’s not a hardware fault, more likely something to do with the way RetroPie is configured.

Using the OSMC script got it going

curl https://download.argon40.com/argonone-setup-osmc.sh | bash

Perhaps something from python wasnt fully installed?

comapared 2 scripts, and among other differences:

pkglist=(python-setuptools python-pip python-dev gcc python-smbus python3-smbus i2c-tools)

Hi,

many thanks for your report. Hmm argononed.service is failing. Can you have a look into /var/log/ if there are any log files present?

What happen if you try to execute the following command on CLI

/usr/bin/python3 /usr/bin/argononed.py

Thanks. I wasn’t able to find anything in the logs.

After reading that other systems were affected, (it seems 3rd party images are not supported), i went to the Argon40 site. They have released specific scripts for other systems like OSMC, LibreELEC.
I tried the OSMC script, rebooted and the fan came on. (i had previously configured the the fan to be always on).
A quick comparison seemed to point to missing Python 3 libs? Dunno…

Hope this helps anyone on DietPi v6.30.0 with this case.

Kudos to Dietpi and its community!

If you install Python using dietpi-software, just a base installation is done. If specific extensions are needed, thy would need to be installed separately. As far as I can see, this is done by the script as well some specific settings within /boot/config.txt

It helped me!

Thank you kind sir.

Hi,
Just a post to say thank you, it also helped me!

Cheers,
K

Hi,

My problem is that I installed the script but the fan is always on. I’ve configured it but it keeps going on…

(I’ve installed the OSMC version)

What can I do?

Thanx

Hi there again,

I’ve cleaned some junk using the dietpi’s tool.

I’ve reinstalled using the normal scrip: curl https://download.argon40.com/argon1.sh | bash

Now everything is quiet.

barukh your suggestion worked for me as well after first attempt gave errors .Thanks! I used the dietpi-cleaner (select in the launcher) and checked all the boxes and cleaned it up. After that run the Argon install again and scripts finished without errors. I do have to check if the fan comes on, might do a small stress test for that.

But, I’m already happy with this case. Temperature of my Pi was always above 55. Not it started even below 40 degrees. Cool runnings CPU says :sunglasses:

I wonder if you needed to install the pre-reqs

sudo apt install python-setuptools python-pip python-dev gcc python-smbus python3-smbus i2c-tools

Then try and install the script

Very nice find!!! Thanks!!!

Sorry to bring up a dead post but after installing the regular and the OSMC version of the script, nothing helps. The power button works perfectly, but the fan just refuses to turn on. I can’t get the fan to kick on for some reason. I tried installing the prerequisites, but everything was already installed. Maybe it doesn’t work on the newest dietpi version? Any ideas?

I don’t think there is a direct influence of DietPi as DietPi is not an own OS. It’s a set o scripts on top of a base image. For RPI device, we use Raspberry OS with a reduced amount of packages. That’s why it is Diet :slight_smile:

Did you tried this one already

curl https://download.argon40.com/argon1.sh | bash
1 Like

That somehow worked. I swore I used that script before. Anyway, thank you for the help!

I’m trying to figure out what I did to make the service work earlier today. After a fresh install, the fan still won’t seem to kick on again. Argonone.service fails to run for some reason. I don’t know what else I did differently last time except wait a few hours to install it again. Its a super strange bug. Would there be a log to see why it fails that I can send you? Here’s what it says:

root@DietPi:~# sudo systemctl status argononed.service
● argononed.service - Argon One Fan and Button Service
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/argononed.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2021-05-24 00:36:30 BST; 8s ago
  Process: 2043 ExecStart=/usr/bin/python3 /usr/bin/argononed.py (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
 Main PID: 2043 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

May 24 00:36:30 DietPi systemd[1]: argononed.service: Service RestartSec=100ms expired, scheduling restart.
May 24 00:36:30 DietPi systemd[1]: argononed.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 5.
May 24 00:36:30 DietPi systemd[1]: Stopped Argon One Fan and Button Service.
May 24 00:36:30 DietPi systemd[1]: argononed.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
May 24 00:36:30 DietPi systemd[1]: argononed.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
May 24 00:36:30 DietPi systemd[1]: Failed to start Argon One Fan and Button Service.
root@DietPi:~#

Okay so I think I got it to work correctly. I first had to install the OSMC version, reboot, and install the regular version. After another reboot, it runs perfectly.

hier eine Mitteilung von [service@waveshare.com]

Hi,
Are you using the DietPi system?
If so, I’m sorry that our driver cannot support this system.

Ich habe von setronic eine V8-Lüfterplatine bekommen. Ohne Pi startet sie nach ca. 1s und läuft weitere 9s, ann ist Schluß. Nur mit Power OFF (5s) und erneutem Start erfolgt das gleiche Spiel. Damit lieht das problem entwerder im Prozessor der Lüfterplatine, der mit dem Python nicht klarkommt oder ??

Was für ein System habt Ihr installiert? Bei mir läuft Libreelec mit Kodi 19.2.
Gleiche Meldungen bei Ode ==> systemctl status argononed.service

mal sehen wenn mein 2. Argon kommt, ob dann die Version V8 oder die neuste V3.2 sich anders verhält

Hi,

first of all I would like to ask you use English language inside this board as we have a large amount of people not speaking German. :wink:

This is a DietPi specific forum. And usually the Argon One Case Fan is working. Because DietPi is not an own OS. It’s a set of scripts on top of Raspberry OS in case of Raspberry Pi.

If anyone with an RPI4 with an arm64 dietpi installation also encounters this problem: in my case the fan was “always on”, none of the scripts mentioned here helped.
This one did the trick:

curl https://raw.githubusercontent.com/meuter/argon-one-case-ubuntu-20.04/master/argon1.sh |bash

Finally peace :slight_smile: