AlloGUI not working: Apache service doesn't start

Creating a bug report/issue

Required Information

• DietPi version | 8.13.2
  • Distro version | bullseye
  • Kernel version | Linux DietPi 3.10.38 #22 SMP PREEMPT Fri Dec 22 10:45:41 IST 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux
  • SBC model | Sparky SBC (armv7l)
  • Power supply used | 5V 3A
  • SD card used | tried both Allo USBridge’s internal 16GB eMMC and a Trascend 16GB SD card

Additional Information (if applicable)

• Software title | Apache
  • Was the software title installed freshly or updated/migrated? Fresh Install
  • Can this issue be replicated on a fresh installation of DietPi? YES, definitely
    ← If you sent a “dietpi-bugreport”, please paste the ID here →
  • Bug report ID | echo $G_HW_UUID

Steps to reproduce

1. Write “DietPi_SparkySBC-ARMv7-Bullseye_AlloGUI” to eMMC or SD using Balena Etcher
  2. Power On
  3. Wait…
  4. Try to access Allo GUI via web browser and … Failed to open page
    (IP is right! :wink:

Expected behaviour

• AlloGUI opens

Actual behaviour

• Failed to open page

Extra details

• Checked what’s wrong connecting via SSH and found…

:-/

Can you check the output of journalctl -u apache2.

sure, here it is:

– Journal begins at Sat 2022-11-19 12:17:02 GMT, ends at Tue 2023-01-24 14:57:21 GMT. –

– No entries –

Please double check that you typed the command correctly, there should be output. Else:

systemctl status apache2
systemctl cat apache2

ok, sorry: I included the final dot too :roll_eyes:

so…

root@DietPi:~# journalctl -u apache2

-- Journal begins at Tue 2023-01-24 15:17:01 GMT, ends at Wed 2023-01-25 09:55:06 GMT. --

Jan 24 15:17:21 DietPi systemd[1]: Starting The Apache HTTP Server...

Jan 24 15:17:21 DietPi apachectl[1088]: [Tue Jan 24 15:17:21.838613 2023] [:crit] [pid 1088] (38)Function not implemented: AH00141: Could not initialize random number generator

Jan 24 15:17:21 DietPi apachectl[1077]: Action 'start' failed.

Jan 24 15:17:21 DietPi apachectl[1077]: The Apache error log may have more information.

Jan 24 15:17:21 DietPi systemd[1]: **apache2.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE**

Jan 24 15:17:21 DietPi systemd[1]: **apache2.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.**

Jan 24 15:17:21 DietPi systemd[1]: **Failed to start The Apache HTTP Server.**

and whilst at it…

root@DietPi:~# systemctl status apache2

systemctl cat apache2

**●** apache2.service - The Apache HTTP Server

Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/apache2.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)

Active: **failed** (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2023-01-24 15:17:21 GMT; 18h ago

Docs: https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/

Process: 1077 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/apachectl start **(code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)**

Jan 24 15:17:21 DietPi systemd[1]: Starting The Apache HTTP Server...

Jan 24 15:17:21 DietPi apachectl[1088]: [Tue Jan 24 15:17:21.838613 2023] [:crit] [pid 1088] (38)Function not implemented: AH00141: Could not initialize random number generator

Jan 24 15:17:21 DietPi apachectl[1077]: Action 'start' failed.

Jan 24 15:17:21 DietPi apachectl[1077]: The Apache error log may have more information.

Jan 24 15:17:21 DietPi systemd[1]: **apache2.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE**

Jan 24 15:17:21 DietPi systemd[1]: **apache2.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.**

Jan 24 15:17:21 DietPi systemd[1]: **Failed to start The Apache HTTP Server.**

**# /lib/systemd/system/apache2.service**

[Unit]

Description=The Apache HTTP Server

After=network.target remote-fs.target nss-lookup.target

Documentation=https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/

[Service]

Type=forking

Environment=APACHE_STARTED_BY_SYSTEMD=true

ExecStart=/usr/sbin/apachectl start

ExecStop=/usr/sbin/apachectl graceful-stop

ExecReload=/usr/sbin/apachectl graceful

KillMode=mixed

PrivateTmp=true

Restart=on-abort

[Install]

WantedBy=multi-user.target
[:crit] [pid 1088] (38)Function not implemented: AH00141: Could not initialize random number generator

That will be it. Umm, I hope it is not a definit hardware/kernel limitation that is not working anymore with Apache2 on Bullseye. We can generate images with Lighttpd or Nginx pre-installed, if that is the case. Let me check.

EDIT: It is a limitation of the kernel:

Nothing we can do about it, as Allo never provided a newer kernel and there is no mainline support for this Actions semiconductor S500 SoC. However, we can generate a Lighttpd-based Allo GUI image.

Hang on …

1 Like

thank you @MichaIng :medal_sports:

Image now up for testing. Please report back whether it boots and works well: Index of /downloads/images/testing

thanks @MichaIng : AlloGUI now working :slightly_smiling_face:

though… Roon Bridge, the one and only “option” I need, is now failing

:neutral_face:

(just one image per post allowed)

btw… also tried reinstalling it

dietpi-software reinstall 121

to no avail

think I’ll better go back to good 'ol “Buster”… if still available
(everything was working fine with that one, so lesson learned: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it :roll_eyes: )

For server systems this is quite a dangerous point of view. The world around you moves and unsupported/unmaintained software gets security vulnerabilities which are abused increasingly.

How is RoonBridge failing?

journalctl -u roonbridge
tail -10 /var/log/roonbridge/*
1 Like
-- Journal begins at Thu 2023-01-26 16:29:52 CET, ends at Thu 2023-01-26 16:56:36 CET. --
Jan 26 16:30:09 AlloUSBridge systemd[1]: Started Roon Bridge (DietPi).
Jan 26 16:30:09 AlloUSBridge systemd[1158]: roonbridge.service: Failed to apply ambient capabilities (before UID change): Operation not supported
Jan 26 16:30:09 AlloUSBridge systemd[1158]: roonbridge.service: Failed at step CAPABILITIES spawning /opt/roonbridge/start.sh: Operation not supported
Jan 26 16:30:09 AlloUSBridge systemd[1]: roonbridge.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=218/CAPABILITIES
Jan 26 16:30:09 AlloUSBridge systemd[1]: roonbridge.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
tail: cannot open '/var/log/roonbridge/*' for reading: No such file or directory

Another feature not supported by this ancient kernel: Failed at step CAPABILITIES spawning · Issue #3582 · scylladb/scylladb · GitHub
Try this:

mkdir /etc/systemd/system/roonbridge.service.d
echo -e '[Service]\nAmbientCapabilities=' > /etc/systemd/system/roonbridge.service.d/dietpi-no-caps.conf
systemctl daemon-reload
systemctl restart roonbridge

Roon Bridge is then not able anymore to set its own nice level, but aside of a warning or so, this shouldn’t be a problem.

mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/etc/systemd/system/roonbridge.service.d’: File exists
Failed to restart roonbridge.service: Unit roonbridge.service not found.

… and actually…

You just printed the journal log of this exact service. Did you accidentally remove it?

ls -l /etc/systemd/system/roonbridge.service
systemctl cat roonbridge

As the directory does already exist, did you edit the service and probably broke the syntax?

cat /etc/systemd/system/roonbridge.service.d/*

nope. or… if I did I’m totally unaware

all I did is… reinstalled roon bridge

ok: let me try writing a fresh image to an SD card

No need, just print the output of the given commands.

EDIT: Ah, I think the Allo GUI renames the service files to disable them. Please try to re-enable it via Allo GUI, if this was the case.

1 Like
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/etc/systemd/system/roonbridge.service.d’: File exists
Failed to restart roonbridge.service: Unit roonbridge.service not found.