Adguard and DHCP IPv6 Settings

Hi,

Is there a recommended “standard” range for IPv6 home use?

Most of my devices use IPv6, but my router has always just handled it for me so I have never really learned its makeup.

My router currently has the settings:

ULA: enabled
Unique local address: fdaa:bbcc:ddee:0:5eb1:3eff:fe14:8a55
ULA prefix / length: fdaa:bbcc:ddee::/64
IPv6 address allocation: stateless

I assume I uncheck ULA: enabled but not sure how to translate the other settings to the AdGuard Home. For example, can I translate my router’s IPv6 address allocation to AdGuard’s Range Start and Range end?

cheers.

ULA are private addresses used in the same manner as 192.168.X.Y addresses in IPv4. The recommended range is a /64 prefix from the fd00::/8 prefix.
I am not sure how well AdGuard works with IPv6.
However if there is no GUA, or public IPv6 address available from your ISP it doesn’t really matter.

Even on IPv4, you are able to resolve IPv6 DNS address usually. That’s not the issue. Important are the client settings.

• Does the client has a GUA?
  • What kind of IPv6 DNS server has been assigned via SLAAC? The router? Something else? Nothing? IPv4 only?
  • I have made the experience, that Windows, iOS and Android are behaving differently if it comes to the point how IPv6 DNS servers are assigned.
  • Usually this is something done by the router. Check your IPv6 settings on the router, if there are options to assign a DNS server using SLAAC.

Hi,

Thanks. I did not understand most of what you wrote.

The only IPv6 settings on my router are in my opening post, however it shows addresses/status for the following ‘things’:

• Hub IPv6 network status: (enabled i.e. connected to the internet using IPv6)
  • Global unicast address:
  • Global unicast prefix/length:
  • Link local address:
  • Remote link local address:
  • DNS: (Not available)
  • Global unicast address: (Not available)
  • Link local address:

Does that help?

GUA are usually assigned from the ISP and if they are dynamic it would be difficult to replicate them to the AdGuard.
Link Local is managed by the device itself.

I appreciate all the replies but understand none of it.

My question is simply: is there a recommended setting for the IPv6 range start/end setting in AdGuard (or should I leave it blank)?

cheers.

It looks like you don’t have a GUA assigned. Means IPv6 is not working at all.

I’d suggest to leave them as they are and let the router handle IPv6.

Personally on my local network, I use Link Local Address only and leave Unique Local Address disabled. Anyway, have a look to your clients if they have a Global Unicast Addresses assigned. If not, no need to play around with IPv6.

Only because I switched ULA off at the same time I switched off my router’s DHCP (was that the wrong thing to do)?

I have just switched it back on (as a test) and it now shows the GUA address again (I didn’t not realise that GIA stood for ‘Global unicast address’ before).

Please educate me! If my devices are using IPv6, won’t they by-pass AGH if the router controls IPv6?

…does DHCP set the IPv4 address only or both (I have always assumed IPv4 only)? I’d be happy if someone pointed me to somewhere where I can understand this better.

Usually DHCP is used to assign IPv4 addresses and should work independently from how IPv6 is assigned to the clients. At least in my world :rofl: clients should get their IPv6 address from the router directly using SLAAC. Yes, yes, there is something linke DHCPv6, but I don’t use it. SLAAC is doing a good job :smile:

• Does your clients have a GUA assigned as well now?
  • Could you check which DNS server your clients have assigned?
  • Do you see a IPv4 as well as IPv6 DNS server?

Nameserver can be assigned in RAs for SLAAC or in DHCP6. Check if you can change the nameserver advertised from the router or disable it at least.

Haha so much text here for a “simple” question, showing that with IPv6 it is absolutely not simple or trivial to answer :smile:. I hesitate to mess with another text.

But some questions:

1. Do you provide AGH as DNS server to DHCP clients via the DHCP DNS setting, or do clients use the router as DNS resolver and the router instead has AGH as it’s DNS resolver?
  2. With IPv6 range in AGH you mean the IP range that is allowed to use AGH’s DNS? I don’t remember currently what exact settings/options AGH has.
  • Does your clients have a GUA assigned as well now?

It shows an IPv6 address now, yes.

• Could you check which DNS server your clients have assigned?

The Mac shows it’s IPv6 router IP as the Link Local address of my router.

• Do you see a IPv4 as well as IPv6 DNS server?

My Mac only shows the IPv4 address of DHG under DNS.

you mean your router has been set as IPv6 address for DNS server? Does your router support to adjust the IPv6 DNS server setting that will be distributed using RA?

No.

My router is quite locked down and I can only switch ULA on or off (and select allocation mode - currently stateless).

Edit: this is the same for IPv4 in that I can only switch DHCP on or off (I cannot change DNS).

I use the AGH DHCP setting as I cannot change the DNS setting in my router - I can only switch DHCP on or off.

re: IPv6 range: yes, the range within AGH’s screen.

…my assumption at the start of this thread was that I needed to do the same for IPv6 as I did for IPv4 (i.e. do the equivalent of switching IPv4 DHCP off at the router and on in AGH).

As far as I can see AGH will create an DHCPv6 server. There, of course your would need to specify an IP range. But usually clients will auto configure using SLAAC. Maybe you could ask on AGH Github how this would need to be setup within your environment.

//offtopic: that’s why I love PiHole. There I could configure such things on dnsmasq to simply populate the IPv6 address using RA :slight_smile:

If the router is locked, you don’t have many options. Especially if the IPv6 prefix delegated is dynamic.

offtopic: This is why I love OpenWrt. There I can configure whatever I want on its DHCP and RA.