XU4 image is bad? No partition table?

when I download the image and put it into Balena Etcher, it gives an error.
“Missing Partition Table”
“it looks like this is not a bootable image. the image does not appear to contain a partition table, and might not be recognized or bootable by your device.”
and when I put that imaged SD Card into the XU4 it does not POST.
I did then download an Ubuntu image from the Odroid Wiki, it flashed fine and the board boots up without issue. Can someone check the XU4 DietPi image?

This is with SD card, not eMMC.

I loaded this https://dietpi.com/downloads/images/DietPi_OdroidXU4-ARMv7-Bullseye.7z and flashed with balena etcher 1.5.79 without any error message.
Unfortunately I can not test if it boots, I have no XU4.

You must extract the image from 7z archive and flash it.

I will try the one @Jappe found.
@pulpe, Balena will normally extract from a zipped file itself and then flash.

I have downloaded Meveric’s Bullseye Debian image and am running the DietPi conversion on it currently, but this is the long way around.

using balena etcher 1.7.0 it did the same with Jappe’s file.
so I unzipped it like pulpe said and it didn’t report any error this time.
weird cause I’ve dropped compressed files into etcher many times and it just does the extraction, flashing and verification itself.
Going to flash it to an SD card and see what it does.

I guess compression type is the key. Our images are packed using 7z. Normally this is not usable directly on tools to write images to SD. Best to my knowledge you would need to use a zip file :wink:

1 Like

Shall we switch to xz compression or hope that 7zip will be supported more widely soon, now that Igor added official Linux support and distros like Debian (Bookworm) have it in package repo?

personally, I would vote for it :slight_smile:

Currently I convert all my stored images from 7z into zip :roll_eyes:

Just so that they can be flashed without unpacking? :smile:

However lets go xz. Other bonus is that we should be able to get added ti rpi-imager :slightly_smiling_face:.

yes, on Rufus I add the compressed image :wink: Using xz would save me the extra step to convert the image