XU4 drive mounting problem

This is the relevant section of FSTAB:

#Internal Drives---------------------------------------------------
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0

UUID=96C3-9298 /boot vfat defaults,noatime,discard 0 2
UUID=ff31ef97-52c2-4ac4-95c8-20e0d3ca064f / ext4 defaults,noatime,discard 0 1 #SSD
UUID=923cb99c-a4fd-47e7-99ca-eb260494eea7 /mnt/usb_1 ext4 defaults,noatime,nofail 0 0 #USB flash

The USB flash does not mount after a power off and power back on. After mounting it with mount -a and rebooting, it mounts.

I’ve got round this by using a cron @reboot job but I’m curious to know why this is happening?

Hi John,

It could be:

• Drive is not ready when systemD attempts mount.
  • Drive not provided sufficient power.

Either way, you can check the status of mounts after a reboot in SystemD by running:

systemctl status *.mount

Check for a failed state.

As a comparison, this is what I get on XU4:

root@DietPi-XU4:~# systemctl status *.mount | grep usb_1
● mnt-usb_1.mount - /mnt/usb_1
    Where: /mnt/usb_1
  Process: 547 ExecMount=/bin/mount -n /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb_1 -t ext4 -o defaults,noatime,nofail (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Jun 25 12:52:13 DietPi-XU4 systemd[1]: Mounted /mnt/usb_1.

Hi Fourdee,

Thanks again for your input. I killed the cron job, shut down, restarted. The USB drive now mounts fine - I replaced the stock power supply with a 6A one yesterday so this must be the reason it now works.

John

Excellent, good to hear :slight_smile: I went for a 8A on mine lol.
Curious, is the drive SSD or platter based?

The main drive is an SSD but the drive that didn’t mount was a 16 GB USB 3.0 flash.

Ah, are you using putting both the SSD and USB flash into the USB3.0 sockets?

Be interesting to know what the Amp requirements are for each of those, and, if they both get the required power from a single 900ma USB3.0 hub on the XU4.

It’s all working fine - the flash drive is only in use for a brief period daily to receive a backup.