X11 instead of Wayland, why?

While “playing” with PiOS and DietPi, after entering echo "$XDG_SESSION_TYPE" I noticed that DietPi Bookworm uses X11 instead Wayland. Is there a specific reason for that?

Can you be more specific on the software title you have installed? X11 is not installed by default and we usually install it for desktop apps only.

Oops, I didn’t even notice the change. Installed from the DietPi software pool are MC, ALSA, X.Org X Server, FFmpeg, Iperf, Git, LXDE, Firefox, Python 3 Rpi. GPIO, I2C, Fail2Ban, DiePi-RAMlog, Dropbear, Python 3, Avahi-Daemon, UnRAR, GIMP, Xfce Power Manager, CUPS, ZeroTier and then via apt install LibreOffice, Gparted, Thunderbird, VLC and BleachBit.

Sorry, I see it myself, X.Org X Server… :-(.
But was it installed during the installation of LXDE?

Yes, it’s installed to allow running your LXDE desktop :wink:

Is there a current need to use Wayland? If so, with which desktop under DietPi?

From our side we don’t use Wayland on any of our desktops

1 Like

Then that’s how it should be, thank you.

In a perfect world, we would offer both and a choice between X11 and Wayland when a desktop is installed via dietpi-software. But our developer man power is simply too low to start tinkering with this, and there are higher priority tasks keeping us busy.

We are open for PRs/contributions about this. But it is 5 desktop installations which would need to be made functional with it on a range of different platforms, so probably pitfalls to expect.

1 Like

Not a problem at all, it was just a question because I was testing with PiOS for various reasons.
My conclusion is that DietPi will remain my OS of choice. It is the best and most flexible distribution for the RPi.
For this reason, a big thank you to all developers and supporters in the forum. A healthy happy new Year to all!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.