Wifi connexion with command line

I would like to connect my RPi5 via Wifi on my router, because I want to use Airplay with my smartphone.

The only problem is that I don’t know how to contact my router, and enter the necessary password with command line…

Anyone have a suggestion for me ?

You can use dietpi-config for this.
https://dietpi.com/docs/dietpi_tools/system_configuration/#__tabbed_1_7

Yes, simply enable onboard WiFi and use DietPi tools to connect. No need to do all this manually on command line

The Wifi card of my RPi5 is recognized after reboot…

Go into network settings for the WiFi adapter using dietpi-config and use the search function to scan for available networks.

I ran a scan, it recognized then memorized my WiFi network and the authentication key, on socket 0, the other 4 sockets (1 to 4) are unused, the connection to my router is still not happening ?

If you apply the settings all should be fine

I just noticed that an update of DietPi from 9.14 to 9.21 was available… but unfortunately this update does not solve my problem. And I am very surprised to notice that the command “apt update && apt dist-upgrade” does not allow this update to be carried out and that I am forced to do a “dietpi-update”…

This is not a good thing for me who likes to automate updates by Cron…

I have to lower the security of my WiFi from WPA3 to WPA2 for the connection to work ;-( While Debian 12 is WPA3 compatible !?

Another strange thing when I do a “top” command line there are 2 users connected, is this normal ?

it is DietPi v9.1.4 to 9.2.1 to be precise

what is your problem?

what update you mean? The DietPi own update?

this is the way to do DietPi own script updates

Debian apt package updated and DietPi own script updates are 2 different things.

Depending on what you want to do, many things can be automated.

depending on your bord, WPA2 or 3 to be used.

which user you mean?

Yes, you need to run dietpi-update to update DietPi. You can also automate this, but I never recommend to automate updates of an OS .

Maybe it’s not a good thing for you, but for 95% of the users.

WPA3 support for 5ghz wifi was added two months ago, so you probably need to update the firmware
https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/6677

Just something to read if you are using RPi5. Not sure if it still valid Still no love for WPA3 on the Raspberry Pi 5

The problem was that DietPi couldn’t connect to my WiFi network due to DietPi not supporting WPA3. Debian 12 does not support WPA3 during the installation process but in post install it works without the slightest problem unlike DietPi ? And I want to be able to use WPA3.

Yes I notice that… it’s absolutely not standard. “apt update && apt dist-upgrade” should update the entire installation, including your scripts…

As DietPi did not offer an update for Squeezelite I had to download and update it manually. I also reinstalled Shairport-sync (37) / AirPlay2 which I had installed as standard, then which I had uninstalled. I had to force the installation from the command line because I had an error with DietPi and shairport-sync (apt install shairport-sync). And I also reinstalled Roon Brigge (121) (basically installed, then deleted and reinstalled).

No, it’s a command from the apt package manager, which has nothing to do with our scripts.btw our scripts use apt too, so how could it update our scripts? They are not packages managed by apt.

I really think we have a typical layer 8 problem here, which is not a problem. The problem is, that you blame us for this.

The WPA problem is explained some posts above.

This is a volunteer project and you act like we owe you something.
If it does not fit your needs you have the free choice to use something else.

1 Like

So what version did you update to?
We use Debian as base, and the last version Debian bookworm offers is 1.9.9
https://packages.debian.org/stable/sound/squeezelite

@Phil995511 maybe you can try this Enabling WPA3 on Raspberry Pi | holtmann.dev ?

did you checked the link I shared? Did you read the blog post? It looks like WPA3 is not supported by RPi5 device or it’s RPI own firmware. This has nothing to do with DietPi or Debian because kernel as well as firmware are the original one from RPi foundation.

Unfortunately, you have not yet understood what DietPi is. It is not a separate operating system. DietPi is a set of bash scripts. Our source code is on GitHub and is updated via dietpi-update. DietPi itself has no apt packages and therefore cannot be updated via apt. No matter what your expectation is.

For most software titles, we have provided information on the update process in our Online Docs. Perhaps you should take a look there.

Depending on the software title, an update may vary. Some are updated via apt, others via the internal update functions of the software itself and still others require a reinstall.

apt dist-upgrade is supposed to update an entire Debian system, scripts included. I’m surprised that’s not the case here.

I have to use a translator to communicate with you which makes things quite painful for me, he translates as best he can…

All Linux distributions are maintained voluntarily and all users are free to choose the solutions they prefer.

When people adopt a distribution and are satisfied with it, they may also make a voluntary donation.

When people have the same synergy it gives good results, when this is not the case… I would also add that criticism must be perceived positively, it allows us to understand ourselves and do better.

LMS offers you its own update when you use it…

Thanks, I’ll look at that

Yes I saw, I use WPA3 on my computer under Debian 12… it works.
I’ll try to tinker with this ;-(

You missed what apt does and how it is working. Again DietPi is not an own operating system. DietPi is just a set of bash scripts and not managed via apt packages.

As said, this is not a limitation of Debian or DietPi. It’s how RPI developer have designed their firmware.

Expectations are good but reality is different.

It’s not very common to have a distribution encapsulated in bash… this is the first time I’ve seen this.

Well it’s good, it’s very practical :slight_smile:

I’ll take a look at your scripts on GitHub when I have time. This will definitely interest me.

Which Debian image are you using exactly (if it is possible to get the download URL) ?

Regards.

We are not an own distribution. DietPi is some logic and automation features in top of Debian. We don’t aim to build an own Debian based destro. More we try to reduce the system footprint and to provide some easy to use end-to-end automation for users who don’t have that deep knowledge. We built some own standardisation across different platforms, SBC and VMs. As base we use Raspbian, Armbian or Debian. Most of the images are bootstrap Debian images where we use vendor or Armbian kernel. For RPi, kernel as well as firmware are the original one provided by RPi devs. There is no single source image. It depends on target system. Best to check our build script. Nearly all our images are generated by GitHub actions.

1 Like