Webmin doesn't see ProFTPD?

Hi all,

I can’t seem to get Webmin to work with ProFTPD — when clicking on the ProFTPD Server module, it just says "The program /usr/sbin/proftpd does not appear to be the ProFTPD server. Maybe it is not installed, or your module configuration is incorrect. Output from the command /usr/sbin/proftpd -v was : "

Is there any way to get this working? Thanks

Hi,

you would need to install ProFTP from dietpi-software catalogue before.

So even though it was installed at the initial setup, I would have to install it again?

Edit: I’ve just checked — it’s already marked as installed in dietpi-software…

Webmin is not going to install anything in addition. It will provide the web Frontend only. Thinks like Samba or ProFTP would need to be installed individualy.

To check if ProFTP is running pls do following

systemctl status proftpd.service

I’m not talking about Webmin installing anything, I’m talking about dietpi-software — ProFTPD is already installed and running.

● proftpd.service - LSB: Starts ProFTPD daemon
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/proftpd; generated)
   Active: active (running) since Mon 2020-04-27 12:17:18 BST; 6h ago
     Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
    Tasks: 1 (limit: 4915)
   Memory: 2.6G
   CGroup: /system.slice/proftpd.service
           └─2514 proftpd: (accepting connections)

So even though it was installed at the initial setup, I would have to install it again?

I was refereing to this comment and I was not sure what you meant by this.

anyway can you check the following

which proftpd

Thanks!

It says it is at /usr/sbin/proftpd

and proftpd -v doesn’t give anything ??

root@DietPiVM1:~# proftpd -v
ProFTPD Version 1.3.6
root@DietPiVM1:~#

probably your FTP installation did not work correctly. Maybe you can try to reinstall.

I don’t think you understand — ProFTPD is working and running. I am able to connect to the server and download/upload files. Webmin isn’t working to adminster it though.

I understood you already. Your problem is that Webmin is not detecting your ProFTP installation and this needs to be found out why. As well you stated on your first post that proftpd -v dosn’t give anything back. But usually it should state the ProFTP version. So there might be something wrong on ProFTP

I didn’t say that typing in proftpd -v gives no results, I said that Webmin is giving that error in the ProFTPD module.

When I type in proftpd -v it returns the version number. It is webmin that doesn’t see it.

what button you need to push to get the output of your 2nd screen shot?

1. Login to Webmin
  2. Click Servers
  3. Click ProFTPD Server

ok for me this is working fine. Seems Webmin has on issue to run proftpd correctly. can you try to open a terminal inside Webmin (ALT+K) and check what proftpd -v will return

Hi,

I have the same issue and followed the thread so far.
When I use the webin console (ALT+K) and type proftpd -v I get an empty result.
When doing the same on the ssh terminal on the server I get the correct version information returned.

Any ideas?

hmm that’s strange. Maybe something to ask on a Webmin board why ProFTPD is not recognised correctly, even if it is installed

https://sourceforge.net/p/webadmin/discussion/600155