Watchdog and dietpi v10.5.2 unexpeced reboot while using the sdcard

Not sure if someone else found this issue but I have this configuration:

watchdog.conf:

watchdog-device         = /dev/watchdog
watchdog-timeout        = 180
watchdog-refresh-use-settimeout = auto
interval                = 10
realtime                = yes
priority                = 1
min-memory              = 12800
allocatable-memory      = 1


Platform Pi 3b+

Observed and steps:

apt update (ok)

apt-get upgrade -y (unexpected reboot)

apt autoremove (unexpected reboot)

Disabled watchdog via systemctl… then the reboot is not there.

Any comments or feedback? any idea is appreciated.

it seems the interval value is hardcoded in the hw with 15seconds

The operations on the sdcard block the refresh of the watchdog, exceeding the 15seconds, triggering the restart. As a potential workaround I increased the priority for the watchdog, that is working ok so far.

Well, increased the priority didn’t work. Anyone there with the same issue? any idea to solve this?

nah, config issue in my side on the watchdog.conf. My bad

Are you willing to share what was falsely configured? :slight_smile:

Basically I was using 12800 instead of 1280 (@80mb-75 mb free) on the free memory check, so my pi 3b+ 1gb ram was rebooted due to that, 12800 means 800mb of free memory and i was below that value when I was playing around with the apt command. The final valid configuration file is:

# cat /etc/watchdog.conf | egrep -v "#"

watchdog-device         = /dev/watchdog

watchdog-timeout        = 15

watchdog-refresh-use-settimeout = no

interval                = 2

realtime                = yes
priority                = 1

min-memory              = 1280
allocatable-memory      = 1

Can be checked with “wdctl” command