Version info in files offered for download

I love this project. I tend to download new releases periodically. I like to keep an archive of the older releases locally.

The way the files are named - at least on the main website - are too generic, in that they lack the release version info. For example, the current generic x86_64 EFI image is https://dietpi.com/downloads/images/DietPi_NativePC-UEFI-x86_64-Bullseye_Installer.7z

This is inconvenient because it means having to figure out what the actual release version is (it doesn’t show anywhere except in the rolling news feed on top), and renaming it each time.

Furthermore, the ISO inside the downloadable 7z is also named without any version/release information: DietPi_NativePC-UEFI-x86_64-Bullseye_Installer.iso.

It would be awesome if we could have the release in the file name. You can still keep a rolling copy without any release info in the file name for download scripts and whatnot, but give the one exposed via the download link a full name that’s unique to the specific release.

I do appreciate that the file name includes Bullseye. However, there are frequent releases between changes in the base OS:

So you have the same file name with a different size and checksum between releases. I would put the DietPi version at the end of the file name. This is also handy for testing, if one specific version has issues.

I hope I’m not the only one who wants this.

The images are not updated with each release, but at first boot your system gets updated to the current release.
To archive each release you have to make your own images, I think.

Correct, on first initial boot, the system is updated to the latest version available. Therefore it doesn’t make sense to store older images as they will get bumped to latest release anyway :wink:

This was my assumption at first too. However, as I look through the downloaded DietPi images from this year (which I had to manually rename each time), they are all different sizes.

I see. I did not realize it auto updated. I usually manually update as soon as I’ve deployed the image.

I would still love to have the version number in there, even if it updates after install.

From time to time the images have to be rebuild when something fundemental was changed, e.g. the rockpi images switched from 2 partitions (fat partition for boot and ext4 for the system) to only one partition. This can not be solved with an update on first boot.

1 Like

The initial version is of course is different, however during first boot all images get updated to latest version. This is a mandatory step. In fact, it doesn’t matter how old images are or on what version there created initially, they all will result in same up-to-date release version.