Vaultwarden ignores .env file

I did some testing to get fail2ban working with vaultwarden and I noticed on the journalctl log it showed:

[INFO] No .env file found.

I did some research and found out that a file namen .env (without any name before the .) has to be placed in the working directory. (WorkingDirectory=/mnt/dietpi_userdata/vaultwarden)
Info Source: https://vaultwarden.discourse.group/t/i-cannot-figure-out-how-to-source-the-env-file/948/17

Altough there is an entry in the systemd unit file EnvironmentFile=/mnt/dietpi_userdata/vaultwarden/vaultwarden.env but I think this had to be symlinked to /mnt/dietpi_userdata/vaulwarden/.env.
I did not try with a symlink, I just renamed vaultwarden.env to .env and the info in journalctl went away.

hmm it’s a normal [INFO] message. Not really an error. Not sure if there are downside of not having the .env file available :thinking:

In this file are already made some configs (like the data directory is set to /mnt/dietpi_userdata/vaultwarden), so it looks like it’s working?
In the systemd unit is also set a path to this file. So maybe it’s used because of the systemd unit? But if I would start vaultvarden manually, without systemd, the file would be ignored due to “false” naming?

And maybe I found another thing:
In the unit file there is a line: ReadWritePaths=-/mnt/dietpi_userdata/vaultwarden
I think the - behind the = is a typo?!

I can confirm:
The vaultwarden.env gets not ignored, I changed the port of the web UI and it worked, but it sill showed this [INFO]. So I think it’s a bug?!

maybe a feature. Would need to be checked with Vaultwarden guys what the intention of the message is.