Upgrading Sonarr V3 to V4

Hi, I’d like to upgrade Sonarr V3 to V4 since V3 doesn’t have updates for more than a year now, but I don’t find a guide for dietpi upgrade, I’d like to seek your help to not doing anything wrong.

Based on the official docs one must do the following:

1. Download the appropriate build of Sonarr v4
  2. Install Sonarr v4 (run installer or unarchive and move files as necessary
  3. Run Sonarr v4
  4. Log into Sonarr, if necessary configure authentication

The problem is that the only download that I have for arm64 is this one and I don’t have a clue what to do with it. Where to extract it, how to replace V3, and so on.

Maybe this is simple, but I don’t want to break all the stuff and I’ve been using the official dietpi installer for V3.

Thanks!

Sonarr v4 is still Beta and has not been released officially.

That’s not true, last update is from March 2023. Current verion available via apt package is 3.0.10.1567 Tags · Sonarr/Sonarr · GitHub

root@DietPiR6S:~# apt show sonarr
Package: sonarr
Version: 3.0.10

V3 is the stable version…V4 is bleeding edge…being developed…might not be 100% stable or secure, or have bugs

There is a reason why Debian is so stable…they are VERY slow on the uptake to new releases/versions…

Ok but assuming I want to jump in to V4 anyway (since some other services such as Bazaar seem to be working better with it already) what is the correct procedure?

it’s not that easy. You need to download new Sonarr v4 files, extract them init the binary location, correct system and group user ownership and adjust Sonarr service.

What’s why I seek for your help. :grinning:

Can you provide me with the correct steps?

Thanks!

I apologize for resuming this now-abandoned thread from last October.
Sonarr V4 is now available to the public, coming out of the extended testing phase: Sonarr v4 Released - Announcements - sonarr :: forums

Will we be able to get it via software update on DietPi or will we have to follow the procedure suggested in the original discussion on Sonarr?

Thanks!

known already DietPi-Software | Sonarr: Migrate to v4 · Issue #6854 · MichaIng/DietPi · GitHub

1 Like

Upgrading

As v4 has several breaking changes you will need to manually install Sonarr v4, we recommend creating a backup of Sonarr v3 and keeping it in a safe location to ensure everything is working as you will not be able to downgrade to v3 without using a backup from v3 or starting with a new DB. Sonarr v4 will automatically upgrade the database from v3 to v4 when it’s run for the first time.

1. Download the appropriate build of Sonarr v4
  2. Install Sonarr v4 (run installer or unarchive and move files as necessary
  3. Run Sonarr v4
  4. Log into Sonarr, if necessary configure authentication

Note currently v4 is not included in our Debian/Ubuntu repository. You will either need to install it manually or use an alternative installation method.

There is no “easy” way to do it…