Transmission sudden error

Hi, I’m on latest Dietpi version on an Odroid HC4, and this morning without touching anythin, transmission stop working.

I try restarting the service, reboot, and the latest, reinstalling transmission, but nothing, I can`t start the services.

This is the output of journal:

root@DietPi:~# journalctl -u transmission-daemon
-- Journal begins at Tue 2022-12-27 15:07:38 CET, ends at Tue 2022-12-27 15:48:1
4 CET. --
Dec 27 15:07:51 DietPi systemd[1]: Starting Transmission BitTorrent Daemon...
Dec 27 15:09:51 DietPi systemd[1]: transmission-daemon.service: start operation timed out. Terminating.
Dec 27 15:11:21 DietPi systemd[1]: transmission-daemon.service: State 'stop-sigterm' timed out. Killing.
Dec 27 15:11:21 DietPi systemd[1]: transmission-daemon.service: Killing process 1445 (transmission-da) with signal SIGKILL.
Dec 27 15:11:21 DietPi systemd[1]: transmission-daemon.service: Killing process 1453 (transmission-da) with signal SIGKILL.
Dec 27 15:11:21 DietPi systemd[1]: transmission-daemon.service: Main process exited, code=killed, status=9/KILL
Dec 27 15:11:21 DietPi systemd[1]: transmission-daemon.service: Failed with result 'timeout'.
Dec 27 15:11:21 DietPi systemd[1]: Failed to start Transmission BitTorrent Daemon.

Could you think of what the problem would be?

Thank you as always.

You could try to start it manually, just to see how it is going and if there are errors on screen.

systemctl stop transmission-daemon.service
sudo -u debian-transmission /usr/bin/transmission-daemon -f --log-error

it does nothing @Joulinar

console doesn’t show anything, the cursor just flashing

can you start it again and keep it running. Open a 2nd SSH session and check system usage using htop. Does it show anything special?

Nothing but it’s like the start command hungs up, because it stays all the time, but both process doesn’t get memory or cpu usage.

The log now throughs a timeout:

Dec 27 22:48:31 DietPi systemd[1]: Starting Transmission BitTorrent Daemon...
Dec 27 22:50:01 DietPi systemd[1]: transmiss
ion-daemon.service: start operation timed out. Terminating.
Dec 27 22:51:32 DietPi systemd[1]: transmiss
ion-daemon.service: State 'stop-sigterm' timed out. Killing.
Dec 27 22:51:32 DietPi systemd[1]: transmission-daemon.s
ervice: Killing process 37390 (transmission-da) with signal SIGKILL.
ervice: Killing process 37394 (transmission-da) with signal SIGKILL.
ervice: Killing process 37397 (transmission-da) with signal SIGKILL.
ion-daemon.service: Main process exited, code=killed, status=9/KILL
ion-daemon.service: Failed with result 'timeout'.
Dec 27 22:51:32 DietPi systemd[1]: Failed to start Trans
mission BitTorrent Daemon.

Then I have to kill both process with sigkill, because stopping the services doesn’t do anything.

So strange…

the timeout was there all the time. Issue is transmission process not starting, resulting in a timeout within the systemd process. Already happend today afternoon

That’s correct. Stopping a service will have no effect if a process was started on command line manually. Usually, you could stop it by hitting crtl+c on the session you started the process on.

Ok, now I got working the command you post it earlier:

root@DietPi:~# sudo -u root transmission-daemon  -f --log-error
[2022-12-27 23:07:29.091] UDP Failed to set receive buffer: requested 4194304, got 425984 (tr-udp.c:97)
[2022-12-27 23:07:29.092] UDP Failed to set send buffer: requested 1048576, got 425984 (tr-udp.c:105)

I saw a post https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=248924 talking about almost the same, and a user says something about an stale process, and I got one, always changing pid, and I can’t kill it.

This I got on my test as well and transmission was accessible afterwards.

But you already rebooted the system. This should have cleaned all stale processes. Can you try to start transmission manually. Is it available afterwards?

After that it says this:

403: Forbidden

Unauthorized IP Address.
Either disable the IP address whitelist or add your address to it.
If you're editing settings.json, see the 'rpc-whitelist' and 'rpc-whitelist-enabled' entries.
If you're still using ACLs, use a whitelist instead. See the transmission-daemon manpage for details.

NO changes where made on settings.json

ok at least the system is reacting again on transmission web access. Can you reboot your system. Does the service is coming up again?

No, it doesn’t start up…

I tried a lot of reboots and nothing.

One thing is confusing me now, is that if I run dietpi-services, it says the concurrent execution error, even if I re boot…

I discover that I have this folder on /root, /root/.config/transmission-daemon/settings.json with what it appears as a default config file, it doesn’t have my settings, but if I try to put for example my port for transmission, and restart the process, it says an error, that “that port is already in use” is another installation of transmission running?

I don’t remember having that folder…

you started transmission as user root user, causing the folder/file being created

you need to stop transmission service before going to start it manually

ok, I understand

So to clarify, when I use root@DietPi:~# sudo -u root transmission-daemon -f --log-error
it’s starts, but when using the service not.

It can be something with the service??

EDIT: If I copy my settings over root settings folder when running the above command it works with my config but no torrents.

EDIT 2: As seen https://github.com/transmission/transmission/issues/537#issuecomment-371486198 override service changing Type=simple instead of Notify the service starts, but no web interface, it keeps loading all the time.

That change just makes systemd recording a success when the process has just been started, instead of waiting for it to send a notification when it reached a certain startup stage. So it doesn’t fix but only masks the problem in systemd status, while obviously startup still hangs at some point before the web UI is accessible.

It didn’t start from console as debian-transmission user either, right? Probably we can get some more logs:

sudo -u debian-transmission /usr/bin/transmission-daemon -f --log-debug

Thank @MichaIng for step in.

Sadly there is no error with that command… :frowning: It just keep loading and doesn’t finish.

If I uninstall it and reinstall could be an option? or restore a backup I have from 10 days ago.

EDIT: Maybe can be some permissions with user debian-transmission? Because running: sudo -u root transmission-daemon -f --log-error is the only way it starts.

what is the output of this command?

I don’t know why I did it, but I move rootfs back to the SD from the ssh, and now that command lists all my active torrents, and it seems I can access web ui from the Odroid, but from another pc of the local network of my home, it says the 403 forbidden, is it very strange…

The only thing I can read from the long list is:

RPC Server Unable to bind to 0.0.0.0:9091, retrying in 20 seconds

I guess this is Transmission security feature and you need to allow external access.