Stranges things in a strange world

Hello Dietpi Community,

Thanks again for the help these threads provide. I would like to understand why, after a fresh install, I have an sda1 partition dedicated to RootFs that is 5.8Gib in size - I really don’t have much installed at the moment.

-I feel like I have a “duplicate” RootFs, or is it because of the f2fs formatting of my partition that does not show the correct size? nothing really serious, but I would like to understand.

-This is the Drive_Manager report:

RPi 3 Model B (armv7l) | IP: --------

┌───────────────────────────────────────┤ DietPi-Drive_Manager ├───────────────────────────────────────┐
│ Mount target: /                                                                                      │
│ Mount source: /dev/sda1                                                                              │
│ Filesystem:   f2fs                                                                                   │
│ UUID:         7cb6012e-9168-434c-91e7-e7bb26998ada                                                   │
│ Allocation:   Capacity: 365GiB | Used: 5.8GiB (2%)                                                   │
│ Status:       Drive is online and ready for use                                                      │
│ Read only:    Disabled                                                                               │
│                                                                                                      │
│                             ●─ Benchmark Options ─────────────────────────────────────●              │
│              Benchmark      : Test read and write speeds                                             │
│                             ●─ Userdata & Swap options ───────────────────────────────●              │
│              User data      : [X] | DietPi user data is currently located on this drive              │
│              Swap file      : [X] | 1076 MiB used on this drive, select to change size               │
│                             ●─ Advanced options ──────────────────────────────────────●              │
│              Read Only      : [ ] | Select to toggle RW/RO modes                                     │
│              Check & Repair : Check and optionally repair filesystem                                 │
│              Resize         : Maximize the available filesystem size                                 │
│              I/O Scheduler  : [mq-deadline]                                                          │
│                                                                                                      │
│                             <Ok>                                 <Back>

and here the softwares installed :

┤ DietPi-Software ├──────────────────────────────────────────┐
│ Use the spacebar to select the software you would like to remove:                                    │
│    [ ] 17   Git: Clone and manage Git repositories locally                                           │
│    [ ] 73   Fail2Ban: prevents brute-force attacks with ip ban                                       │
│    [ ] 103  DietPi-RAMlog: Makes /var/log a RAM disk, preserves file structure on reboot             │
│    [ ] 104  Dropbear: Lightweight SSH server                                                         │
│    [ ] 130  Python 3: Runtime system, pip package installer and development headers                  │
│    [ ] 170  UnRAR: unarchiver for .rar files                                                         │
│                             <Ok>                                 <Back>

-Thank for the help - cdlt
:call_me_hand:

This value is obtained from this command:

findmnt -Ufnro USED -M /

That should be correct, but you can compare with df -h /. You have a ~1 GiB swap file which adds to this size.

You can run the following to identify where the major used space is coming from:

G_TREESIZE /

Since it is an F2FS rootfs, it is not one of our official images, is it? Or is it the one for RPi we had among our downloads a while ago?

1 Like

hi @MichaIng ,

ok i understand better, can you tell me if the sizes of /var and /usr seem normal to you or not ? Here is the feedback :

2,3 GiB /
1,1 GiB /var
1,1 GiB /usr
51,1 MiB /boot
23,3 MiB /root
2,9 MiB /run
1,6 MiB /etc
32,5 KiB /mnt
9,0 KiB /home
3,5 KiB /srv
3,5 KiB /opt
3,5 KiB /media
3,5 KiB /lost+found
0,0 bytes /tmp
0,0 bytes /sys
0,0 bytes /proc
0,0 bytes /dev

yes this is the official image from the site, I just formatted my external SSD in F2FS then created a partition and moved the rootfs with Drive-manager , it’s a fresh install so…

####Information

• DietPi version | G_DIETPI_VERSION_CORE=8
    G_DIETPI_VERSION_SUB=11
    G_DIETPI_VERSION_RC=2
    G_GITBRANCH=‘master’
    G_GITOWNER=‘MichaIng’
    G_LIVE_PATCH_STATUS[0]=‘not applicable’
  • Distro version | bullseye 0
  • Kernel version | Linux DietPi 5.15.76-v7+ #1597 SMP Fri Nov 4 12:13:17 GMT 2022 armv7l GNU/Linux
  • SBC model | RPi 3 Model B (armv7l)
  • Power supply used | 5V Official Power supply
  • SD card used | SanDisk ultra Classe 10 32gb for boot and external ssd crucial 500gb with 2 partitions - sda1 for rootfs

…in any case thank you for the explanations - have a nice day :call_me_hand:t5:

Hmm that output indeed doesn’t match the 5.8 GiB reported before. Seems like F2FS adds large amount of overprovisioning for internal stuff:

Thought this example is for a very small filesystem. Not sure whether something like reserved blocks (like in ext4) exists and is shown as part of “used” space on F2FS.

1 Like

https://manpages.debian.org/bullseye/f2fs-tools/mkfs.f2fs.8.en.html#o

Should be possible to check for this size, adjust it and see whether it affects the observed difference in disk usage.

1 Like

…yes thx, I’m on the same link I’m going to look at it this afternoon… I’ll come back and give you a feedback …

edit 14.08pm : I think it’s formatting from drive-manager without the -o option that creates this …
I test withfsck.f2fs to see how it’s going by following :
https://www.real-world-systems.com/docs/mkfs.f2fs.1.html