[SOLVED] Yup, another PADD + DietPi Question

tl;dr - How do I install PADD on a Raspberry Pi 3B running Pi-Hole?

Let me first apologize for yet another question regarding the installation and use of PADD on Diet Pi. I will say, however, that I did a thorough search of the Diet Pi Forums, Docs, as well as multiple Google searches without any results.

I have attempted to install PADD on a Raspberry Pi 3B (running Pi-Hole and Unbound) multiple times without success. I even tried on a separate Pi Zero W and Pi 4B with the same lacking results. With that said, I want to keep the amount of processes low on the Pi 3B so that Pi-Hole and Unbound can perform it’s magic at full throttle (since I have fiber internet here and I want the throughput to be at it’s max), so I decided to build a Pi Zero W with an attached 3.5 inch LCD Touch Panel to display PADD. As mentioned above, due to the multiple failures I encountered, I ended up simply running either ‘pihole -c’ or ‘dietpi-cloudshell 2’ (by SSH’ing into the Pi 3B) on the separate Pi Zero - the issue that I am running into now is the screen resolution on the 3.5 inch screen is waaaaay to small to read either ‘pihole -c’ and ‘dietpi-cloudshell 2’ from afar, so, here I am asking how to setup PADD since my other projects haven’t worked out. I have changed multiple variables on the Pi Zero W to increase the size of the display, but again, no success (but this is not what I am looking to discuss in this post).

So, can anyone please provide a bit of clarity as to how I can go above installing PADD on the Pi 3B so that I can SSH into it with the Pi Zero W and access it?

Thanks in advance!

PADD needs to be executed directly on the system running PiHole.

How to setup is described on PiHole Github https://github.com/pi-hole/PADD

I tested via SSH. It was working fine on my RPi4B and I got PADD output on my putty session

Sorry, let me clarify, I am not intending on running PADD on the Pi Zero W. My goal here is to install PADD on the Pi 3B, which is running the instance of Pi-Hole, and then SSH into the Pi 3B using the Pi Zero W and then running PADD. Last year I installed Pi-Hole on Rasp OS and ran PADD from another PC (running Linux) without issue, so I know it can be done.

Regarding the link you provided; that is the guide that I followed and had no success. Do I need to ‘cd’ into a specific directory and then run the ‘wget’? Do I need to be installing this as the ‘root’ user or ‘dietpi’ user? I assume that it doesn’t matter as far as the “user”, but should I be within the ‘/mnt/dietpi_userdata’ directory when installing, or does it even matter?

Ok, so just to prove my point, I followed the exact instructions listed on https://github.com/pi-hole/PADD.

See below for the steps I took, and the error I am getting.

Using Remmina from a remote computer, I logged into the Pi 3B via ‘root’ user, and ran:

1. cd ~
  2. wget -N https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pi-hole/PADD/master/padd.sh
  3. sudo chmod +x padd.sh
  4. nano ~/.bashrc
  5. Added the following to the file, followed by ‘Ctrl X’, ‘Y’, ‘Enter’:
	# Run PADD
	# If we’re on the PiTFT screen (ssh is xterm)
	if [ "$TERM" == "linux" ] ; then
	  while :
	  do
	    ./padd.sh
	    sleep 1
	  done
	fi
  1. reboot
  2. Using Remmina from a remote computer, I logged into the Pi 3B via ‘root’ user, and ran: ‘sh padd.sh’
  3. Error Message Received:
root@dietpi:~# sh padd.sh
padd.sh: 26: padd.sh: declare: not found
padd.sh: 154: padd.sh: Syntax error: redirection unexpected

I tried doing the above steps within the standard ‘root’ directory as well as ‘/home/dietpi’ directory. And still no luck.

Nevermind - I figured out the issue by searching for the issue in Google.

To run the PADD script, you don’t need to run

sh padd.sh

from the directory containing the

padd.sh

script. Simply running

./padd.sh

from

user@dietpi~#:

does the trick.

Solved!

but I guess it is not refreshing. Or does it fresh the screen automatically? Usually you would need to place padd.sh into a loop

It was refreshing, but after running both PHAD and PADD on the separate Pi Zero (via SSH’ing into the Pi 3B and running either Cloudshell, PADD, or PHAD), I realized that my old (although only 32 years old) eyes were just straining too much so I went back to utilizing DietPi’s Chromium Kiosk with the Pi-Hole Web GUI setup as the default view.

My final configuration works great and is easy to read from most angles. See below for the final outcome of the project - mind you, I am a Trekkie, so I attempted to make it look similar to a Borg Cube (but failed, haha, but it was good enough).

Although, I am struggling to find a solution to having the screen go blank after a certain amount time. I know that these LCD TFT screens aren’t capable of completely shutting off or going into standby mode, but I have seen (many months ago) that it is possible to simply blank the screen - thoughts?

I guess you would need to activate power save mod. But I need to say, I’m not an expert on x application as all my systems are headless.

MichaIng
any ideas? I guess something to set on xinit?

PADD is not X application, but a terminal application like DietPi-CloudShell, so X configs/methods won’t work, as long as you do not start it from within a desktop’s terminal emulator or so.

PADD indeed needs to be placed into a loop as it only prints the current state and then exists.

… ah, screen blanking is for Chromium kiosk mode? In this case remove the X config which explicitly aims to disable DPMS:

rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/98-dietpi-disable_dpms.conf

Not sure if this has any effect on the LCD, but worth to give it a try.

MichaIng
Correct. Question was for the screen blanking while using Chromium kiosk mode

No worries on this any longer. I switched to a 5in LCD (HDMI connected) Screen which allows me to setup screen blanking through /boot/config.txt and it works great. All is well in my kingdom!

Appreciate the support!