[SOLVED ]PC Version - Full fresh install in internal HD

Hi guys.

I’ve an old netbook and I wish install DietPi like a normal OS, I mean boot, FS, home, etc from the clasical internal hdd netbook.

I can’t find any tutorial or something to how to do it right.

Thanks!

Just bear in mind the PC must support 64bit. We do not currently offer any 32bit x86 based images.

Thanks Fourdee.
Got it. When you said this you gave my an idea and works flawessly!!!
Your post was a trigger for me.
I think that this way it’s much faster and secure than take out the HDD. And in my case I don’t have an USB dock or similar.

• Boot the netbook with any live distro (in my case I used System-Rescue and I took advantage of their tools to leave the HDD formatted, with ext4 FS, etc)

• In another pendrive copy the DietPi_vx.x_NativePC-BIOS-x86_64-Buster.img file and then (with the live distro running in the netbook) insert this pendrive with DietPi copy too.

• The great thing of System Rescue it’s if you have only one USB port available (very improbable, but possible) in the boot options you can load all the live OS to RAM and leave the USB port free.

Done this it’s piece of cake.

• Mount the pendrive where you have the *.img file and make

dd if=/path/to/mounted/USB/with/DietPi/image/DietPi_vx.x_NativePC-BIOS-x86_64-Stretch.img of=/dev/sdX (in most cases should be sda)

And now we have a nice netbook/laptop/DesktopPc with DietPi installed and ready to use.

I’ll change the post to [SOLVED]

Thanks again Fourdee!

I joined the forum to give input on this one. As I struggled as well. I was not able to get SystemRescue to work right. I followed the instructions correctly, but it never committed to writing the information to the drive. So I took it to what I know … Windows.

I downloaded Etcher, just like the instruction for DietPi say to use. But in the settings for Etcher is “Unsafe Mode”. I checked that box, and continued with writing the image to the proper drive. The drives when selecting the destination will be listed with their IDs, not their volume letter. So something like MK12313UTC rather than (F:). You will want to make sure you are selecting the right drive to “etch” to, so look in device manager, under disk drives, and go to the properties of the drive you suspect is (F:)…for example. If you go to the volumes tab, and click “populate”, the drive you were looking at will then show it’s volume letter. So Let’s say that it was the MK12313UTC I mentioned. You will then just make sure you “etch” to that drive. As soon as it was finished I do suggest shutting down and extracting the drive. Windows doesn’t technically like having 2 boot drives. Just to be safe, however, it’s probably fine.

Credentials: Windows Engineer. I do things to Windows that make it naughty.