Seagate USB 3.0 drive cooling fan not stopping

Hi,

first of all - ALL the praise for DietPi, when i first read about projects involving NZB/BT/Emby all on one machine i was afraid that i found a new hobby for the next few months, because i have VERY basic knowledge of Linux. Then i found DietPi and after 1 hour everything was set up as a proof of concept and few more hours later everything ran perfectly from anywhere :sunglasses:

So, one last thing and i cannot seem to find a solution:
I got a powered 8TB Seagate Expansion Drive yesterday. Moved everything from the old drive to the new, mounted, etc. and it works perfectly.

The only thing i found is that the cooling fan is not stopping. The drive goes into idle mode without problems, but the fan whirrs on.

When i shutdown the Pi, the fan also stops, so its connected to the OS i guess?

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
kopfnick

Hm, i am getting the feeling maybe the drive does not support everything needed?

root@DietPi:/# sudo hdparm -I /dev/sda2

/dev/sda2:
SG_IO: bad/missing sense data, sb[]:  70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0a 00 00 00 00 24 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

ATA device, with non-removable media
Standards:
        Likely used: 1
Configuration:
        Logical         max     current
        cylinders       0       0
        heads           0       0
        sectors/track   0       0
        --
        Logical/Physical Sector size:           512 bytes
        device size with M = 1024*1024:           0 MBytes
        device size with M = 1000*1000:           0 MBytes
        cache/buffer size  = unknown
Capabilities:
        IORDY not likely
        Cannot perform double-word IO
        R/W multiple sector transfer: not supported
        DMA: not supported
        PIO: pio0

Long shot maybe but I have Seagate external I couldn’t spin down, but plugging into a Windows Computer and running the Seagate Drive Settings app I could adjust spindown time. Maybe there’s a fan option in there.

johnvick thanks a bunch - that solved it, actually :wink:
Didn’t even think of just plugging it into the laptop and try to set the spindown time there, i thought this was something the OS regulates!
Well, now all is quiet after a few minutes of non usage, including the fan…