Rustdesk Server

Hi at all,

since AnyDesk, Teamviewer and alternatives are proprietary and expensive it would be great to get rustdesk server in dietpi.

best wishes!

1 Like

Hi @naddel91: If you could install it manually on your system and generate a step-by-step instruction, we could put this quickly into a blog post and later on investigate on it whether we can put it into our dietpi-software installer script.
A contribution with this step-by-step instruction from you would be highly appreciated.

1 Like

will give it a go. after countless unsuccessful tries I finally got it working (with the help of the discord support).
rustdesk (2).txt (1,4 KB)

1. I succeeded by installing portainer and getting the uploaded *.yml imported as STACK. the txt-file includes both version (x86 and arm), just use the one you need and copy/paste it into web editor (portainer).
  2. I had to forward ports 21115-21119 TCP and 21116 UDP on my router to the machine that is hosting the container with rustdesk (in my case a Virtual Machine where portainer runs in dietpi).
  3. then we need a DDNS and the rustdesk key file id_ed25519.pub.
  4. insert DDNS AND Key into both machines you want to use.
  5. profit! Own Relay Server should then establish the connection.

this is the source. it helped a lot:

Usually, we don’t offer Docker container as there is not that much we can optimize or automate. We aim more for native installations.

1 Like

Here is the native installer: rustdeskinstall/install.sh at master · techahold/rustdeskinstall · GitHub

Basically downloading three binaries and creating three services for them.

Please make a plugin for rustdesk, thank you.

Hi,

did anything come of this? I’d really like to be able to connect from anywhere on the internet.

B.

1 Like

I would like to know, too.

everything you need is inside the script linked above.

1 Like

I already have rustdesk in a docker container running nicely, but it would be great if it is supported in an upcoming dietpi release so I can simply install it from the list.
RustDesk would be a great addition to the great dietPi software catalogue.

Would also be interested, but will try manual installation the next days.

Update:

Tried to install RustDesk today.
With the script posted by MichaIng it took me less than 30 minutes to get it running on my DietPi/RasPi 4
plus set up my Router/Firewall etc. and create a working Windows client.

Thanks a lot!

1 Like

I recently installed Rustdesk on a new DietPi installation and initially seemed to have success running the install script shown above. However there are implications if you intend to use Rustdesk outside the LAN and do not have a static IP address. These implications are not addressed unless you first run ./install.sh --help and then use the proper options to configure your servers or if you edit the signal server startup options after installation. My post discussing this is quite long and can be found here: Rustdesk new installation and configuration.