• Distro version | bullseye 0
  • Kernel version | Linux DietPi 5.15.56-v8+ #1575
  • SBC model | RPi 4 Model B
  • Power supply used | 5V 3.0A 15W
  • SD card used | SanDisk Extreme 64GB

Information

• Software title | OpenMediaVault
  • Issues installing software with existing desktop environment
  • Issue may be replicated if initially installing desktop environment on a fresh install

Steps to reproduce

1. Install dietpi with docker, docker-compose, lxqt desktop environment software options during initial install
  2. Attempt to install openmediavault using wget -O - https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/installScript/raw/master/install | sudo bash
  3. Desktop environment error; use debian lite
  4. Attempt to remove lxqt desktop environment using: ‘dietpi-software’ > uninstall > reboot
  5. wget -O - https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/installScript/raw/master/install | sudo bash returns identical error
  6. Attempt to remove lxqt using: ‘sudo apt-get --purge autoremove lxqt’ then;
  7. Change Autostart Options to local terminal auto login (7)
  8. Rebot
  9. Attemting to install OpenMediaVault returns same error, desktop environment running.

Further attempts to remove lxqt with ‘sudo apt purge lxqt openbox -y’ returns; “Package ‘lxqt’ is not installed, so not removed” and “Package ‘openbox’ is not installed, so not removed”.

But continues to return "This system is running a desktop environment! Please use a Lite version of the image or do not choose to install a desktop environment." error message.

Expected behaviour

• Successful removal of desktop environment booting into terminal only
  • Install openmediavault

Actual behaviour

• Desktop environment persists
  • Portainer working as expected
  • Can’t install openmediavault

Note

I’m attempting to install openmediavault as I’m trying to follow a guide to install nextcloud in a portainer stack with an external volume served by openmediavault. I want to run nextcloud with an external volume and ngnix in portainer, I’m only running a container for Pi-Hole at the moment. I don’t actually need a desktop environment because I only use ssh and each application’s web UI to manage.

Welcome to our community

Why are you trying it that complicated using Docker and OMV?

PiHole as well as Nextcloud are available as native app using our software catalogue. During installation you could select Nginx as web server. And for NextCloud, you could set a configuration to host NC data directly on an attached external disk. You could simply save the overhand of a Docker engine and OMV. At least as long as there are no other reasions to use OMV and/or Docker.

I wanted to try using docker containers for my applications and I wanted to use portainer as it looks a lot simpler to manage. I see a lot of people using docker for nextcloud and ngix so thought it’s the go-to method.

I just tried what you suggested and installed nextcloud with ngnix using dietpi-software but I’m unsure of the next steps to configure ngix and set an external volume for nextcloud.

There is quite a Docker hype which goes beyond what is reasonable in a lot of common home server use cases. As long as you do not have a specific reason to use a container, I’d skip that additional layer and complexity. DietPi aims with its install options to make software installs as easy as it might be otherwise with Docker, but without the container engine overhead and limitations. However, that is not your question.

I’ve no idea how OMV detects a desktop environment, obviously it does it wrong as LXQt is clearly not installed anymore. If you do not need the X server for something else, please try to uninstall it as well.

No further step required. If you want your data on an external drive, I suggest to move DietPi userdata to that external drive using dietpi-drive_manager.

EDIT: Ah sorry, the external volume is served by OMV? What does that mean, how does it show up on the system? External means something like a USB drive or network/NFS drive? In case it’s a network drive, I’d not have all Nextcloud data stored there but instead add it as external storage via Nextcloud UI and external storage app.

Also: How is OMV related to Docker and Portainer? I understand that one might want to use OMV for managing drives/volumes, but not sure how Docker is related to this :sweat_smile:.

Hi, thanks for the detailed reply.

I’m actually not quite sure, I’m still learning to use more advanced self-hosted applications like this, besides just using Pi-hole, thats all I’ve done with my RPi so far. So if there’s anything confusing about my answers it’s due to my lack of understanding.

Relating to this question, since I’m trying to follow a step-by-step guide on setting it up I’m just following someones guide word for word see this video. I’ve no idea if this is a good guide or not, it’s just what I chose to follow and then faced problems trying to follow with OMV.

This is probably all I’m looking for. I just want to have nextcloud use the external storage any user accounts by default and not use the system SD card. I’m not concerned if nextcloud itself run and stores its own config and logs here.

let’s keep it simple.

1. got into dietpi-drive_manager
  2. mount your external drive
  3. once done, select to move user data to that drive

This should migrate all your data (including NC data) to the HDD/SDD