Question: best option for remote access and DietPi maintenance?

I’m new here and totally new to DietPi and the topic of home servers in general.

I do not have any studies in computing, IT, or similar things; only what I have been able to learn on my own over the net; so please, be patience with me.

I installed DietPi at home on a RaspberryPi 3B+ and started playing with it.
My first test was to install AdGuard Home and use it to block advertising and achieve greater privacy.
I’m also working on having my own NAS.

The fact is that my brother liked the idea and he asked me to install the same thing for him and while I was preparing it, I had a doubt.

If I install a VPN to be able to access my brothers Raspberry (at his house) from my PC (at my house) then will he be able to access his NAS with the same VPN? Will I have to install or configure another one?

Is there any way to do this better? I have read something about being able to access via SSH for DietPi maintenance, but I don’t understand how to do it.

I’m a little lost with that.

I will appreciate any help.

Thank you! :beers:

Sorry if there is already a similar topic open, but I haven’t been able to find it.

Theoretically you can use PiVPN (a CLI interface for Wireguard) and setup 2 clients. One can be used by you and the other one by your brother. This way you won’t have a conflict.

Or you use something like Tailscale.

Okey, I will try PiVPN option.

Anyway, yesterday I went to sleep thinking of; If in the future I want to give my family access to this NAS, I have read something out there that the option of using a Reverse Proxy is better.

Would using a DuckDNS domain + Nginx Proxy Manager + opening ports be a good option?

Thank you!

Maybe you can give some more information on what your NAS solution would be.

The truth is that I’m not sure.

I would like to do something like a private Google Drive (using NextCloud or similar), but I think it’s something I don’t know enough to do right now.

So, being able to make a shared folder, I’m satisfied or the moment.

I ask this because I have seen this type of videos and it seems like a very good option, but I keep reading that opening the ports is not a good option.

Self Hosting on your Home Server (Youtube)

Basically you need to get clear what NAS solution you like. If it is just for sharing files, you could use Samba or SCP. For both a VPN would be enough.

If it should be Nextcloud, you are good without Nginx Proxy Manager. I created a how-to some years ago.

But as stated, first get clear on your application. Afterwards you can decide on the access solution

2 Likes

Yes, I think that first I have to think better about what I want to achieve with my server.

Thanks!

I’m going to try to look for that “how-to” that you mention to do a little invertigation work. :wink:

Should be somewhere within the tutorial section

Yes, I’m trying to find it, thanks! :slight_smile: