ProFtpd, no write permission in /var/www

Creating a bug report/issue

I have searched the existing open and closed issues

Required Information

• DietPi version | G_DIETPI_VERSION_CORE=9 G_DIETPI_VERSION_SUB=7 G_DIETPI_VERSION_RC=1 G_GITBRANCH='master' G_GITOWNER='MichaIng'
  • Distro version | bullseye 0
  • Kernel version | Linux DietPi 6.1.21-v8+ #1642 SMP PREEMPT Mon Apr 3 17:24:16 BST 2023 aarch64 GNU/Linux
  • Architecture | arm64
  • SBC model | RPi 4 Model B (aarch64)
  • Power supply used | (EG: 5V 1A RAVpower)
  • SD card used | SanDisk

Additional Information (if applicable)

• Software title | ProFTPD
  • Was the software title installed freshly or updated/migrated? Freshly installed today
  • Can this issue be replicated on a fresh installation of DietPi?

Expected behaviour

No FTP write permission in /var/www folder

Actual behaviour

I recently installed ProFtpd to access folder /var/www but I haven’t write permission, few days ago I inadvertently deleted the “www” folder and I don’t know if I recreated it correctly.

Extra details

None

by default ProFTPd uses user and group dietpi, but /var/www is owned by root or www-data. YOu would need to change the permissions or ownership to let write ProFTPd to this path.

What is the output of

ls -la /var/www

?

Oh sorry, I forgot to paste it:

root@DietPi:~# ls -la /var/www
total 24
drwxr-xr-x  3 www-data www-data  4096 Sep  9 15:01 .
drwxr-xr-x 12 root     root      4096 Sep  6 14:56 ..
-rw-r--r--  1 www-data www-data 10701 Sep  6 15:03 index.html
drwxr-xr-x 11 www-data www-data  4096 Sep  9 15:01 phpmyadmin

Thank you in advance!

Which user you use to login via FTP? Is it user dietpi?

Yes

Your problem is that /var/www belongs to the user www-data. This is the only user who can write to this folder. To allow the user dietpi, you must add him to the group www-data and adjust the group permission to 777.

Okay, it works now, but I think it would have been sufficient to add the user to the group.
However, I do not know originally the folder to which user and group was assigned. Because I recreated it and assigned it to www-data. Can you check yours?

Thank you!

User group www-data is correct and you need to add write permission to the group. Otherwise you are not able to write into the folder via group permissions set