Plex can't delete files in external hdd

I have installed PLEX using the dietpi-software and I am amazed how smooth the stream/s are.
I am running into one issue that the plex webplayer does not allow me to delete the movies on my external hdd and because my whole lib is on the hdd I have to turn off my whole system and connect the drive to my main pc to get things sorted but it is a very cumbersome process to repeat every alternat day so I tried searching for what could be the issue but I am unable to understand as I am a complete novice in these.
Can anyone help me change the file permissions for plex for the lib on my external hdd?

Hi,

welcome to our community. Do you have any error message while trying to delete files/movies from inside Plex? Can you share the content of the folder in question where your movies are located? What file system format you are using on that disk?

ls -la /mnt/path/to/your/files
lsblk -o name,fstype,label,size,ro,type,mountpoint,partuuid,uuid 

ls -la /media/storage returns with

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1121258862 Jan 16  2021 'Wrong Turn.mkv'

I have multiple files so just pasting one example and all the files ave the same permissions.

and lsblk -o name,fstype,label,size,ro,type,mountpoint,partuuid,uuid returns with

NAME FSTYPE LABEL   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT PARTUUID                             UUID
sda               465.8G  0 disk                                                 
├─sda1
│    vfat           512M  0 part            1aca3062-01                          F1CB-84D8
└─sda2
     vfat         465.3G  0 part /media/sto 1aca3062-02                          23DE-A493
mmcblk0
│                  59.5G  0 disk                                                 
├─mmcblk0p1
│    vfat           128M  0 part /boot      92b3e04f-01                          AE5D-8FB0
└─mmcblk0p2
     ext4          59.3G  0 part /          92b3e04f-02                          a83708ef-afc9-486f-85b2-8e3bad22c439

sda2 is the drive my media is stored.

The problem is the file system format of your drive as it is vfat. This is not a Linux file system and hence not supporting UNIX file permissions. Means all files on that drive are owned by user root which prevents changing them for other user.

User, group and modes can be hardcoded via mount options (e.g. adding them to /etc/fstab). Here an overview of vfat mount options: Linux Kernel Documentation / filesystems / vfat.rst

But I would indeed consider using a native Linux filesystem, or NTFS which has limited emulated UNIX permissions support, at the cost of additional CPU utilization.