pi4 rpi-eeprom-updat BOOT_ORDER not working

I want to 1st run ssd (usb) then if fails use micro-sd. If I remove the micr-sd the ssd drive boots with no problem. Any Idea what I may doing wrong?

sudo -E rpi-eeprom-config --edit
BOOT_ORDER=0xf14
reboot

Doesn’t work, with both drives connected mico-sd boots every time.

sudo rpi-eeprom-update && vcgencmd bootloader_config
sudo: unable to resolve host pg-438: Name or service not known
BOOTLOADER: up-to-date
CURRENT: Thu Mar 18 08:54:11 UTC 2021 (1616057651)
LATEST: Thu Mar 18 08:54:11 UTC 2021 (1616057651)
RELEASE: stable (/lib/firmware/raspberrypi/bootloader/stable)
Use raspi-config to change the release.

VL805_FW: Dedicated VL805 EEPROM
VL805: up-to-date
CURRENT: 000138a1
LATEST: 000138a1
[all]
BOOT_UART=0
WAKE_ON_GPIO=1
POWER_OFF_ON_HALT=0
DHCP_TIMEOUT=45000
DHCP_REQ_TIMEOUT=4000
TFTP_FILE_TIMEOUT=30000
ENABLE_SELF_UPDATE=1
DISABLE_HDMI=0
BOOT_ORDER=0xf14
USB_MSD_DISCOVER_TIMEOUT=30
XHCI_DEBUG=0x3

I think it has something to do with this file location location. /tmp/tmp4fck3rq4/pieeprom.upd

################################################################################
*** To cancel this update run ‘sudo rpi-eeprom-update -r’ ***

*** INSTALLING /tmp/tmp4fck3rq4/pieeprom.upd ***

if I go look for it in /tmp its not there.

:/tmp# ls
systemd-private-47843a668aa848ff88fb3fe83c2a2396-ntp.service-3PqsW4 tmp.wfftPwfGwt

I ended up using this: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=196778
usb-boot . it resoled my issue.

usually you could have installed DietPi on SD card and perform initial setup. This should install latest stable version of rpi-eeprom. Afterwards you can flash DietPi on your SSD directly and boot from it without using SD card anymore.

Why do you think that rpi-eeprom-update failed? Both is on latest version already, showing the edit you did. Not sure why it does not work, as all that is official RPi packages and files. We’d need to check back work RPi devs.

The usb-boot tool you linked seems to boot from SD card as well and uses the USB drive as root partition only, like it’s done when moving it via dietpi-drive_manager. df should clarify that. Not a bad solution but one needs to keep in bind that after the first kernel update neither the SD card alone not the USB drive alone can boot side only SD card boot partition and USB root partition have matching kernel and firmware files :wink:.