Pi Zero 2 Install, Setup and Management Advice

Hi, new here hoping anyone can give a bit of advice as to how to tackle things.

I’ve been running OMV on an Armbian Renegade board but am going to try switching to a Zero 2. I’d been running shairplay, plex server, wireguard and transmission so would like the same functionality but am not sure how to move forward.

OMV installs on dietpi are problematic so I guess I need to shift into the dietpi interface paradigm, anyone willing to chip in and give me any pointers?

Should I try running services in containers or is a bare-metal dietpi interface installation the best way to go?

Thanks for your time.
Oscar

Well, that really depends on your own taste. Docker container-based applications have the advantage that they are easy to install. The disadvantage is that if Docker doesn’t work, all containers are affected. Personally, I favor native apps over Docker.

shairplay, plex server, wireguard and transmission can be installed easily and simply with dietpi-sotware. Usually, no further configuration is necessary.

1 Like

Thanks, sounds good.

I was thinking containers might be a bit more lightweight with only 512mb ram but am starting out with 32bit and is it can run without drama then I guess docker might be a bit of overkill.

Appreciate your input.

Rather the opposite, as Docker require additional resources for the Docker engine. Especially if you only have 512MB of RAM, you should not switch to Docker, as the engine alone can require 100MB of RAM.

If there were a web interface for compose it might be worth the extra 100mb

Is there no way to update to transmission 4?

we install transmission-daemon from official Debian repository Debian -- Package Search Results -- transmission-daemon
There v4 is available on Debian Trixi only.

Thanks.