if possible, flash the Orange Pi Debian image on a spare SD card and update firmware + SPI using Orange Pi config tool. This way you should get regular reboot functionality back.
Coincidently I had just done this before reading your post! (but used Orange Pi Ubuntu Jammy Server image instead of Debian).
After manually erasing SPI and flashing it via orangepi-config from Orange Pi Ubuntu Server image, now dietpi is booting normally from NVMe (also reboot is working now).
Since I’m not keen to compile it myself yet, checking for compiled binaries. But their website is currently down. Uff, and why is it all plain HTTP (no encryption, no authentication) .
You could try booting from the SD card to get your system up and running. Once the system is online, there should be an option to flash SPI/Bootloader in the configuration menu. Does anything change after that? If not, you will have to use the workaround via OrangePi Debian.
Just out of interest, what is the reason for flashing Armbian on the NVMe? For me, it was enough to flash the SD card with OrangePi Debian and update the bootloader.
Very strange that flashing the SPI from Armbian works and in our case not, as we do exactly the same in dietpi-config. The only reason I can think of is that Armbian’s APT repository is currently stuck since February for some reasons, while their images are shipped with more recent kernel and bootloader builds/packages. So probably the newer SPI U-Boot build works.
I’ll extract a DEB file from the current Armbian Orange Pi 5 image for testing.
USB boot works fine afterwards, would be great if some could test it with NVMe. We should then add an entry in our documentation about this and a link from the download page.
I recently got a Orange Pi 5, to get started I should just follow How to install DietPi - DietPi.com Docs and then to boot from my NVMe M.2 I should just do dietpi-config > “Advanced Options” > “Update SPI bootloader”
I get remove my SD card after that? Anything else to keep in mind? Thanks in advance!
Hello,
today I got an update (apt upgrade) from Armbian Source - kernel and firmware. Now the OrangePi 5 (DietPi v9.7.1) won’t boot anymore.
Message: “Gave up waiting for root file system device. Common problems: …” and
“ALERT! UUID=(UUID of the NVME - /dev/nvme0n1p1) does not exist.”
I think the NVME is no longer recognized.
DietPi booted from an SD can access the NVME.
Does anyone have any idea what I can do now?
Thanks in advance!
Addition: dietpi-config > “Advanced Options” > “Update SPI bootloader” does not exist in the menu - only “Update MMC bootloader : Flash current U-Boot to /dev/mmcblk1”