Orange pi 3B problem

Creating a bug report/issue

Required Information

• DietPi version | G_DIETPI_VERSION_CORE=8 G_DIETPI_VERSION_SUB=22 G_DIETPI_VERSION_RC=3 G_GITBRANCH='master' G_GITOHNER= 'MichaIng'
  • Distro version | bookworm
  • Kernel version | Linux DietPi 5.10.160-rockchip-rk356x #1.0.0 SMP Tue Aug 22 11:38:20 CST 2023 aa
  • SBC model | Generic Device (aarch64)
  • Power supply used | 5V 3A
  • SD card used | SanDisk extreme 128GB

Additional Information (if applicable)

• Converting debian to dietpi
  • I tried to convert fresh installation of debian to dietpi
  • If I could, I would send it, but opi 3b doesn’t have access to the Internet, that’s why there is this ticket

Steps to reproduce

1. I tried to convert Debian to dietpi, everything worked until I rebooted opi 3b

Expected behaviour

• subsequent installation stages should be completed without problems (at least from what I read in the conversion guide)

Actual behaviour

• the installation cannot be completed due to lack of internet access (wired and wireless internet does not work even though the option for wifi to work is selected).

Extra details

• as I wrote above, I use Orange Pi 3b (has rockchip rk3566) with Debian bookworm prepared by Orange Pi. Additionally, in the network interface settings for the Ethernet port and the Wi-Fi card, it said that it was not found.
    Has anyone ever encountered such a problem and know how to solve it?
1 Like

Same here

I tried to do the same with Orange Pi 3 Lts last year, and it worked with Ethernet, Wifi was not working, I guest it had something wrong the config or the driver, but I couldn’t get it to work.

Found a howto get the wifi working…I think you must have internet access one way or another because the conversion script has to pull ALOT of packages

Make sure one you get it built, you use an imager to make a backup of the SD card so you don’t have to keep repeat building DietPi

http://www.orangepi.org/orangepiwiki/index.php/Orange_Pi_3B#WIFI_connection_test

http://www.orangepi.org/html/hardWare/computerAndMicrocontrollers/service-and-support/Orange-pi-3-LTS.html

This tutorial works when you use the Debian or Ubuntu that OrangePi provides.
After slimming it down to DietPi, the wifi device somehow disappears.

let me link the related GitHub issue Orange pi 3b network problem Β· Issue #6659 Β· MichaIng/DietPi Β· GitHub

There are some more information.

I’ve just tried to convert the Orangepi 3B from Armbian to Dietpi and it works!
Both wlan0 and eth0 are working.

Seem to be a good playground for some light usage.
Its performance is decent, benchmark sit near Allwinner H5 and S902 SoC.

β”Œβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€ DietPi-Config β”œβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”
                                                        β”‚ DietPi-Benchmark | https://dietpi.com/survey#benchmark :                                                             β”‚ 
                                                        β”‚  - CPU Performance   : Duration = 12.75 seconds (lower is faster)                                                    β”‚ 
                                                        β”‚  - CPU Temp          : Idle = 38'c | Full load = 46'c                                                                β”‚ 
                                                        β”‚  - RootFS            : Write = 18 MB/s | Read = 21 MB/s                                                              β”‚ 
                                                        β”‚  - RAM               : Write = 367 MB/s | Read = 1239 MB/s                                                           β”‚ 
                                                        β”‚                                                                                                                      β”‚ 
                                                        β”‚ Additional benchmarks:                                                                                               β”‚ 
                                                        β”‚  - Custom Filesystem : Write = Not tested MB/s | Read = Not tested MB/s                                              β”‚ 
                                                        β”‚  - Network LAN       : Transfer rate = Not tested MB/s                                                               β”‚ 
                                                        β”‚                                                                                                                      β”‚ 
                                                        β”‚                                 ●─ DietPi-Benchmark ─────────────────────────────────────────────────●               β”‚ 
                                                        β”‚               DietPi-Benchmark  : Starts CPU, RAM and IO benchmark suite. Scores can be viewed online.               β”‚ 
                                                        β”‚                                 ●─ Additional benchmarks ────────────────────────────────────────────●               β”‚ 
                                                        β”‚               Custom Filesystem : Benchmark IO performance from a selection of mounted devices.                      β”‚ 
                                                        β”‚               Network LAN       : Benchmark LAN performance using 2 DietPi systems.                                  β”‚ 
                                                        β”‚                                  <Ok>                                      <Back>                                    β”‚ 
                                                        β””β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”˜ 

Thx for letting us know.

please tell me you made a copy of the image after installation. when I try, the installation goes smoothly, but when I try to restart it, the green light blinks and after a while it stops and nothing more.

2 Likes

I would be also interested copy of that image

2 Likes

em… yes actually I have created the IMG for orangepi 3b, but its size is quite large as the zipping part of the image creation script seems cannot works for the newer kernel (maybe >6.1?) .
Anyways, I would try to upload the image somewhere and let you guys have the link! :slight_smile:

Sorry for my late reply as I am quite engaged in my work… :smiling_face_with_tear:

Did you tried dietpi-imager ? It should work independently from kernel version

it actually links to my other thread :sweat_smile:
Anyways, I don’t have time to further investigate the cause so just leave it

1. Failure in creating image through imager script - Troubleshooting - DietPi Community Forum

For the image of Orange Pi 3B :wink:

2 Likes

don’t worry that it’s a bit late, it’s good that you made a copy of it because some people wouldn’t even think about it, I’ll probably test it tomorrow, thanks again

There you did not answer. We are still missing the console output @MichaIng was asking for.

Can I share it on the orange pi discord server?

If this image works for you, I am happy you share it to other :smiley:
it is good to let more people know the beauty of dietpi~

yes… sorry I was then engaged in works and didn’t further investigate…
Anyways I would be trying another board call Radxa zero 3W… May I could further post the log when I try :smiling_face_with_tear: