OpenVPN with PIA?

Are there any guides to setting up openvpn with a paid vpn service such as private internet access? I’ve been trying all day to get it working, but whenever it’s running I can’t connect to the internet.

yes there is, i followed this guide and got it working, one thing i will say is

at this point, leave out

sudo iptables -A OUTPUT -o eth0 -j DROP

i couldnt connect at all until i took this out

if you have any issues give me a shout, dont forget to change

sudo iptables -A OUTPUT -d 192.168.1.0/24 -o eth0 -m comment --comment “lan” -j ACCEPT

to whatever your network is using

i have all the ovpn files already edited from

ca ca.rsa.2048.crt
auth-user-pass
crl-verify crl.rsa.2048.pem

To this:

ca /etc/openvpn/ca.rsa.2048.crt
auth-user-pass /etc/openvpn/login
crl-verify /etc/openvpn/crl.rsa.2048.pem

TCP and UDP

Thanks. It seems to be working, but when I get ipleak.net from within the gui on my pi, it shows my ipv4 from the Netherlands (as expected) and an ipv6 from the US. It also says no forwards IP detected. If you are using a proxy, it’s a transparent proxy.

Never mind. I disabled ipv6 in system sysctl.conf, so it only shows the Netherlands ipv4 now. Thanks again!

if you are using PIA, change the dns servers in the interfaces file to PIA DNS servers, install dnsmasq, no dns leaks

what are you using this setup for?

Using the pi as a seed box.

nice, if you are using PIA it might disconnect a lot with torrent files, mine did, the only way around it that i could find was to switch from a UDP to a TCP connection and use a different port

Just follow the simple steps:

1. Visit the official download page for the Windows OpenVPN Installer, located here: Community Downloads - Open Source VPN | OpenVPN
  2. Choose the version that matches the operating system you’re using (whether 32-bit, or 64-bit)
  3. Choose to save the file
  4. Go to the downloads link in your browser, and click the option to open the folder containing the download
  5. Right-click on the installer, and choose Run as Administrator
  6. You may receive a popup from the User Account Control on Windows; if so, choose Yes to proceed with the installation
  7. When the Install completes, click Next
  8. Uncheck Show Readme and click Finish
  9. Download the OpenVPN Configuration Files here: https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/openvpn/openvpn.zip
  10. Open the folder that the configuration file was downloaded to
  11. Right-Click the openvpn.zip and click Extract All
  12. Click Extract
  13. Highlight and copy all of the Extracted files from the zip and paste them into the OpenVPN config folder C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config or C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenVPN\config
  14. When you Paste, it will ask you to confirm Administrator permission to copy the files
  15. Right-click the OpenVPN GUI icon on your desktop, and choose Run as administrator
  16. Right-click the OpenVPN icon in the System Tray to choose a region to connect to, or to disconnect from the VPN
  17. Enter your Username and password when prompted, and Click OK

For more details, have a look at this PIA VPN review here.

You can find their support documentation in the official website of openvpn. The support documentation has detailed installation and setup guides for novices. Follow their instructions.

The installation guide is as follows: openvpn.net/quick-start-guide/

If you still have some questions, you can try sending them an email and asking for his support.

i have had similar problem

have a look at
https://dietpi.com/forum/t/solved-nordvpn-transmission-plex-seeding-not-work-no-port-forwarding/3038/1

i’ve done this following guides from here:
https://www.htpcguides.com/configure-transmission-for-vpn-split-tunneling-ubuntu-16-04-debian-8/