Are there any guides to setting up openvpn with a paid vpn service such as private internet access? I’ve been trying all day to get it working, but whenever it’s running I can’t connect to the internet.
yes there is, i followed this guide and got it working, one thing i will say is
at this point, leave out
sudo iptables -A OUTPUT -o eth0 -j DROP
i couldnt connect at all until i took this out
if you have any issues give me a shout, dont forget to change
sudo iptables -A OUTPUT -d 192.168.1.0/24 -o eth0 -m comment --comment “lan” -j ACCEPT
to whatever your network is using
i have all the ovpn files already edited from
TCP and UDP
Thanks. It seems to be working, but when I get ipleak.net from within the gui on my pi, it shows my ipv4 from the Netherlands (as expected) and an ipv6 from the US. It also says no forwards IP detected. If you are using a proxy, it’s a transparent proxy.
Never mind. I disabled ipv6 in system sysctl.conf, so it only shows the Netherlands ipv4 now. Thanks again!
if you are using PIA, change the dns servers in the interfaces file to PIA DNS servers, install dnsmasq, no dns leaks
what are you using this setup for?
Using the pi as a seed box.
nice, if you are using PIA it might disconnect a lot with torrent files, mine did, the only way around it that i could find was to switch from a UDP to a TCP connection and use a different port
Just follow the simple steps:
- Visit the official download page for the Windows OpenVPN Installer, located here: https://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/downloads.html
- Choose the version that matches the operating system you’re using (whether 32-bit, or 64-bit)
- Choose to save the file
- Go to the downloads link in your browser, and click the option to open the folder containing the download
- Right-click on the installer, and choose Run as Administrator
- You may receive a popup from the User Account Control on Windows; if so, choose Yes to proceed with the installation
- When the Install completes, click Next
- Uncheck Show Readme and click Finish
- Download the OpenVPN Configuration Files here: https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/openvpn/openvpn.zip
- Open the folder that the configuration file was downloaded to
- Right-Click the openvpn.zip and click Extract All
- Click Extract
- Highlight and copy all of the Extracted files from the zip and paste them into the OpenVPN config folder C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config or C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenVPN\config
- When you Paste, it will ask you to confirm Administrator permission to copy the files
- Right-click the OpenVPN GUI icon on your desktop, and choose Run as administrator
- Right-click the OpenVPN icon in the System Tray to choose a region to connect to, or to disconnect from the VPN
- Enter your Username and password when prompted, and Click OK
For more details, have a look at this PIA VPN review here.
You can find their support documentation in the official website of openvpn. The support documentation has detailed installation and setup guides for novices. Follow their instructions.
The installation guide is as follows: openvpn.net/quick-start-guide/
If you still have some questions, you can try sending them an email and asking for his support.
i have had similar problem
i’ve done this following guides from here: