OpenBazaar server on Raspberry Pi 3 (DietPi OS)

Hi

Anyone have any experience in installing OpenBazaar server 2.0 on Raspberry Pi 3?

I had installed a few time but couldn’t get OB server to start. See below for my installing process.

Install dependencies

You need to have gcc and git installed to compile and run the daemon.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install build-essential git -y

Install Go 1.9

cd ~
wget https://redirector.gvt1.com/edgedl/go/go1.9.2.linux-armv6l.tar.gz
tar -C /usr/local -xzf go1.9.2.linux-armv6l.tar.gz

sudo tar -C /usr/local/ -zxvf go1.9.2.linux-armv6l.tar.gz

Add /usr/local/go/bin to the PATH environment variable. You can do this by adding this line to your /etc/profile (for a system-wide installation) or $HOME/.profile:

export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/go/bin

Setup Go 1.9

Create a directory to store all your Go projects (below we just put the directory in our home directory but you can use any directory you want).

Logg in to user account not root~

mkdir ~/go

then

Export local Go paths and load them:

echo “export GOPATH=$HOME/go” >> .profile
echo “export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/go/bin” >> .profile
source ~/.profile

Set that directory as your go path:

Paste these lines at the command line, to append their quoted text to the end of .profile in your home directory (if you used a different go directory, make sure to change it below):

echo “export GOPATH=$HOME/go” >> .profile
echo “export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/go/bin” >> .profile

Fetch “openbazaar-go” from the Github repository:

go get github.com/OpenBazaar/openbazaar-go

The code will be downloaded to your ~/go folder.

Run the server to check if it works correctly.

go run $GOPATH/src/github.com/OpenBazaar/openbazaar-go/openbazaard.go start

Wait a bit until you see a message that the server is running. Quit it with CTRL + Q.

_____ \ ______ ____ __ _____ _____________ _____ _______
/ | \____ _/ __ \ / | | /_ \ ___ /__ \ __ \_ __
/ | \ |> > /| | \ | \ / __ _/ / / __ _/ __ | | /
_
__ / / _ >| /___ /(____ /_____ (____ (____ /|
/|
| / / / / / / /

OpenBazaar Server v0.10.0
[Press Ctrl+C to exit]

Stuck in the above.

Weird is the start as OpenBazaar Server v0.10.0, not OpenBazaar Server v0.6.2.

I would appreciate If anyone could help.

Thank you.

Linux DietPi 4.9.52-v7+ #2 SMP Mon Oct 2 23:27:32 UTC 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux

Have you try OpenBazaar Server from : DietPi-Software ?

https://dietpi.com/forum/t/dietpi-software-details-for-all-installation-options/22/57

ya, I did, didn’t work either(something to do with the python pip). Now OB have updated to 2.0

Better to open a GitHub issue for this please. So coder can have a look and possible to fix it in one of the next releases.

https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/issues

Thanks.

Would be better if we could get the Go version.

I’m not keen on Go but it’s compiled which is something. Python is really too slow on ARM. In all honesty, I’m a little surprised that the team thought Go was a good idea (compared to Python) when a microclient system is far better suited to tiny machines and that’s an area where ARM excels. It’s not just RPi, it’s also Android - these are machines no one cares about leaving on day in/day out.

When it comes to PCs - I don’t really want to leave an old P4 sitting in a corner burning electricity. Even using it as a space heater, it’s hardly an efficient use of energy and I can imagine most significant others will be less than impressed to have a huge, ugly PC parked in some corner of their home buzzing away.

ARM is far more efficient, usually silent and that means no one is going to notice.

I suppose an Intel maker board would be a solution but they tend to be expensive.