Odroid C2 Reboot Hang

Required Information

• DietPi version | v8.17.2
  • Distro version | Bullseye
  • Kernel version | Linux DietPi 6.1.11-meson64 #23.02.2 SMP PREEMPT Sat Feb 18 00:07:55 UTC 2023 aarch64 GNU/Linux
  • Architecture | arm64
  • SBC model | Odroid C2 (aarch64)
  • Power supply used | Upbright 5v 2.5A
  • SD card used | Microcenter SDXC I 128GB

Additional Information (if applicable)

• Can this issue be replicated on a fresh installation of DietPi? Yes

Steps to reproduce

1. Set up DietPi
  2. sudo reboot
  3. It doesn’t reboot, stays red.

Expected behaviour

• It should reboot.

Actual behaviour

• It doesn’t reboot, red light.

Extra details

• Unplugging and plugging in power fixes it.

My SD card recently died and I decided to update my Dietpi installation. I was previously on Buster but it seems like when I try to flash and run that version, it no longer wants to boot up. Anyways, I am now having an issue where if I reboot through sudo reboot it’ll hang and not boot up again until I pull the plug. It is on a 100% clean install with a new SD card. I have seen both of these linked issues but I am unsure of what the actual resolution or temporary fix is. I seems like it needs to be a kernel fix and it seems that Ubuntu does not have the issue. I’m on SD card and not EMMC (I read emmc does not have the issue either). Is there something I can do in the meantime?

ping @MichaIng, can you have a look pls.

You already found the relevant bug report on GitHub. Sadly long outstanding issue where no one found a solution, respectively merged it this either upstream or at Armbian.

So no fix/workaround available aside of using eMMC where the issue seems to not appear, or only very rarely.

Interesting, that’s unfortunate.

Any idea why an older version of Dietpi (Buster) I have doesn’t want to boot but the latest does? I don’t think it’s corrupted by any means.

Sorry for the late reply. The Buster images (and earlier ones) were based on a very different legacy kernel and bootloader, the sources of Hardkernel. Our current images ship with Armbian’s mainline kernel und U-Boot builds. Both did boot, AFAIK. The older ones didn’t have the reboot issue, but they cannot be used with recent Debian and software versions since the kernel is too old.

Got it, thanks for the help!