Odd Boards and Dodgy Images

Hi All,

I’ve picked up two SBCs lately that I would love to get DietPi running on.
One is an Orange Pi 3B and the other is a Libre Renegade.

There is an official image for the Orange Pi 3B, but it seems like they’ve gone through a board revision and that image no longer properly loads network drivers for the current iteration of the board.

The Libre Renegade doesn’t have an official image.

I’ve been able to download the board manufacturer’s Debian images from their sites here for OrangePi and here for Libre Renegade and then follow the instructions here on the DietPi website to convert it once it’s up and running. So far, so good…

Except that I’m really suspect about the OrangePi’s official Debian image. It overrides the default Debian repos for ones hosted by Huawei, and while I’m not a conspiracy theorist or anything, I’d really rather be pulling packages from either the official repos for Debian, DietPi, or specific device manufacturers if required.

I’m not super Linux savvy (been a Windows Server sysadmin for 20yrs), so I’m a bit out of my depth trying to extract just the device drivers from the official images and incorporating them into a clean distro install.

I’d be willing to buy and ship one of each of these boards to anyone who could do the work of making official DietPi images that everyone can use (and having a v2 image for the Orange Pi).

Or if someone can point me to some docs on how to install the manufacturer images, extract the drivers, incorporate them into a base Debian/DietPi image I’d be willing to give it a try despite my lack of advanced knowledge.

The other thing I was wondering was if there was a way to supply a DietPi.txt when converting an existing Debian install to DietPi? On my Raspberry Pi 3B+ boards I’ve already got a DietPi.txt that I drop onto the SDCard after I’ve rufus’d the image onto it, but I don’t know how I’d include that in the conversion process…

Cheers,

Jon

Yeah…I don’t like the Huawei repositories either…but mine has been running just fine with their image.

Believe it or not…the “official” image is a clone of Armbian…you can use orangepi-config just like armbian-config

It works…but like you…I don’t fully trust it…