NetData after fresh install: CONFIG: cannot load cloud config

Creating a bug report/issue

Required Information

• DietPi version: 8.23.3
  • Distro version: bookworm 0
  • Kernel version: 6.1.21-v8+ #1642 SMP PREEMPT Mon Apr 3 17:24:16 BST 2023 aarch64 GNU/Linux
  • Architecture: arm64
  • SBC model: RPi 4 Model B (aarch64)
  • Power supply used: (EG: 5V 1A RAVpower)
  • SD card used: SSD disc attached

Additional Information (if applicable)

Software title: NetData
Software title was installed freshly

Steps to reproduce

1. Run command dietpi-software
  2. Select NetData
  3. Run command: systemctl start netdata
  4. Run command: netdata status

Expected behaviour

netdata should work

Actual behaviour

netdata INFO : MAIN : CONFIG: cannot load cloud config ‘/var/lib/netdata/cloud.d/cloud.conf’. Running with internal defaults.

I can view NetData info from RPI but not from a computer on the same network.

Additional info:
It’s happening on fresh install. There’s only PiHole installed and nothing else.

Any help is appreciated

Just an information a not related to your challenge.

Not needed as service is started automatically after installation and reboot.

NetData will be accessible from localhost only because of NetData default configuration. This is not DietPi specific. If you like to change this, you will need to change port binding within /etc/netdata/netdata.conf.

Note that having Netdata accessible to anyone gives potential attackers a bunch of useful information where to start hacking. Therefore you should think of limiting access to NetData.

Some useful information can be found at Web server | Learn Netdata

Thanks for your help.

I edited /etc/netdata/netdata.conf and modified line
bind to IP: 192.166.6.66

This way I can view netdata info from local network devices but not from outside and that was basically my main goal.

Explanation for the reason why I used command ‘systemctl start netdata’ to start netdata?

I read it from official netdata documentation where it states that - This is the recommended way to start, stop, or restart the Netdata daemon.

I still think that there’s something not 100% right with netdata installation because as you mentioned netdata should run automatically after reboot. I checked it and it didn’t. Don’t need to change this behaviour. Just want to mention that the fresh installation on a fresh installed OS doesn’t fully work as expected.

Best regards

Did a test install and for me all fine. Netdata was up listen to localhost. All as expected. No issues.

Always good to check and share logs. Otherwise noone knows what happened to your system.