Koel not working with larger libraries

G_DIETPI_VERSION_CORE=8
G_DIETPI_VERSION_SUB=18
G_DIETPI_VERSION_RC=2
G_GITBRANCH=‘beta’
G_GITOWNER=‘MichaIng’
bullseye 0
Linux hifi 6.1.21-v8+ #1642 SMP PREEMPT Mon Apr 3 17:24:16 BST 2023 aarch64 GNU/Linux
arm64
RPi 4 Model B (aarch64) 8MB

Koel scans but unable to work with larger audio Libraries

1. fresh install
  2. select small audio library
  3. audio files found and displayed
  4. select larger audio library, scans for a long time, nmon shows pi cpu/disk busy writing but no new audio files are shown. The files found in 3. are still listed though

First run i went straight for the large library and nothing was shown except the default fourdee sample thats why i thought to make a test with a smaller library.
tested with and without / at the end of the file path.

I thought i give Koel a try after many years (wasn’t working back then) and it still isn’t.
Run a test if it has problems with sub sub folders and Koel didnt pick up those files but had the rest.

Thought i just post my findings.

Maybe a problem with php memory limit?
https://github.com/koel/koel/issues/302

This is also interesting:

Let’s keep it open for easier discovery. Implementing support for huge libraries is actually something on Koel’s roadmap, though I’m not sure when I’ll have time for it yet.

https://github.com/koel/koel/issues/1036#issuecomment-616234376

And also this:

I tried to see how koel would work with a large library (765K songs, 58K albums, and 13.7K artists) and it does not work for me after scanning in the library. I had to increase PHP memory limit to 10GB or it would report running out of memory in the laravel log

How much RAM do you have? :smiley:

BTW I’m using navidrome and I have no problems scanning my 100GB+ library on a RPi4 with 4GB.

1 Like

pi has 8MB wrote that above (:
Didn’t see navidrome, installing and testing.

ah damn, it’s just another streamer, looking for a better player then o!mpd

But Koel is also another music streaming server, like navidrome. But navidrome also supports subsonic media players, koel is just a web interface?!

You might be right, thought it was a player too.

I just run into a problem with O!MPD today, after adding a few albums to list it has become unusable, site lags even though CPU doesn’t go over 30% or any diskwrites that would lag it.
Searching on how to fix right now.

The other thing i could do would be to ssh proxy browser into the pi and check which of the streamers would use the Allo Boss DAC but i rather not.

EDIT: Found out how to clear the Playlist, everything is fast again.

1 Like