[Kodi] Micro stutter due to external HDD idle spindown

So I mounted my external usb 3 hdd via Samba as a network share.

I access my media it via Kodi. Kodi is accessing the drive periodically. My notes are that around every 5 min?

Anyway between access times to load the new contents, the hdd spins down and goes to idle. So whenever Kodi Access new data for the stream, it needs to spin the drive up and I get micro stutters and the info in Kodi: source to slow for playback)

So my idea is now to increase the active time of the HDD through the global idle shutdown time in the drive manager.

My question:

1. can. I somehow see what is the current default time of the external drive?(so I can get back to the default)
  2. what is recommended idle spindown time for a smooth movie/tv show playback via network share?

sdc is the media library HDD

root@DietPi:~# hdparm -C /dev/[sh]d[a-z]

/dev/sda:
 drive state is:  active/idle

/dev/sdb:

/dev/sdc:
 drive state is:  standby

when I use the drive (download a file) sdc switches to active/idle

root@DietPi:~# hdparm -C /dev/[sh]d[a-z]

/dev/sda:

/dev/sdb:

/dev/sdc:

/dev/sdd:
SG_IO: bad/missing sense data, sb[]:  f0 00 05 00 00 00 00 14 00 00 00 00 20 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
 drive state is:  standby

It seems the issue is that the drive goes into standby after around 1-2 min.

It skips the idle/active phase

The hdparm command (I put it on 15 min) does not prevent the standby unfortunately. Anybody an idea how I can prevent the standby for my external drive?

It’s an intenso drive

Some manufacturers offer desktop tools for Windows and/or macOS to manage HDD settings. Maybe something to look into.

1 Like

yes I think that’s m online chance. but I think I need to go with a real setup with internal HDDs, instead of external drives.