Is anyone running DietPi on a Pine64/soquartz?

I’m a new DietPi user, attempting to install and run on an soquartz.
I am testing the soquartz on a Raspberrry Pi CM4 IO Board.

Is anyone successfully running this combination?
I’m failing miserably using install images right off the website.
I’m following the website instructions exactly.

I’ve tried emmc booting and sdcard booting - both fail similarly.
I also tried the bookworm images (website points at buster)
but the boot setup is basically the same & it fails the same way.

I’m far from a booting expert, but it looks from the serial console like
u-boot is running OK, but then it can’t find the /boot partition, and things go downhill from there. It’s never actually finding/loading the vmlinuz.
I end up at what I believe is a u-boot prompt.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help!!

1 Like

Ha! Following up on my own post.

I was researching OS options for my soquartz. Manjaro runs,
but I really don’t like it very much. DietPi sounds like a good fit,
but as I said earlier doesn’t boot.

I ran into James Chambers’ blog from a couple weeks ago:
Pine64 SOQuartz CM4 Alternative Review - James A. Chambers
where he reports EXACTLY the same problem attempting to boot DietPi
on the soquartz as I’m having.

So, it appears that DietPi on Pine64/soquartz is DOA.

I’m pretty much a noob on booting/dts type stuff, unfortunately.
I can experiment if someone wants to give me some debugging ideas…

Thanks for reporting. I’ll try to replicate.

But he reported that Armbian worked which is anyway cleaner and lighter then dietpi.

We use Armbian as base image as well :wink:
And DietPi usually is more lightweight.

Not for Quartz64 boards, we use Peter Geis’ kernel and bootloader builds instead: Peter Geis / quartz64_ci · GitLab

And there is no SOQuartz image from Armbian, only a Quartz64 Model A image… ah, even that one has been removed from the official download server in the meantime, but only provided as community images: Releases · armbian/community · GitHub
And they are at least three times larger than our downloads.

I tried to replicate the issue, and indeed ran into boot issues as well on first attempt, with a Samsung EVO Plus 128 GiB SD card. Then I remembered facing the exact same issue before with this exact SD card: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/4649#issuecomment-1166625516

Tried with an old Kingston 64 GiB SD card, and now it boots fine. So seems to be the Quartz64 boards are a bid picky on the SD card. Did you try another one?

Since there was just a new kernel release by Peter, as well as mainline U-Boot images for all Quartz64 models, I’ll generate new images. Probably the mainline U-Boot can boot from the Samsung EVO as well.

1 Like

ah ok I didn’t know that.

Nice, with mainline U-Boot the SOQuartz boots with the Samsung EVO. @Rick0 could you test this image, please: https://dietpi.com/downloads/images/testing/DietPi_SOQuartz-ARMv8-Bullseye.7z
Linux v6.1-rc1 included.

EDIT: Boots on all 3 Quartz64 models here :slightly_smiling_face:. SOQuartz with official Model A baseboard, btw.

@Rick0
You provided links to newer Linux firmware for enabling SOQuartz WiFi. In my case the only thing required was adding the .txt file:

curl -sSf 'https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/plain/brcm/brcmfmac43455-sdio.AW-CM256SM.txt' -o /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43455-sdio.txt

Can you verify this works in your case as well (without updating/adding the firmware blobs)?

On Model A it should be the same, which was already offered for ROCKPro64:

On Model B it is a different chip, requiring brcmfmac43456-sdio firmware, which isn’t shipped by any Debian firmware package (yet), also not in Linux upstream repo, hence I took it from Armbian, who took it from LibreELEC: update `brcm` `fmac43456-sdio` firmware for Radxa Zero/Zero2 (from Li… · armbian/firmware@30d86fc · GitHub

So all WiFi firmware is now included without any package conflicts :slightly_smiling_face:.