Installation Snowflake?

Hey,

I am trying to install Snowflake under 8.3.1 Bullseye according to the following instructions.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

sudo apt-get install git
sudo apt-get install golang

cd
git clone https://git.torproject.org/pluggable-transports/snowflake.git

cd snowflake/proxy
go build

I can’t get any further here, I get an error message with “directory not found”.

Is this due to /home/pi?

nohup /home/pi/snowflake/proxy/proxy > /home/pi/snowflake/proxy/snowflake.log 2>&1 &

Thanks

of course directory /home/pi/ did not exist on DietPi as the entire user pi did not exist. If such a user is required, it would need to be created manually.

k, found something else :slight_smile:

https://nickwasused.com/posts/2022-03-12-tor-snowflake/

Btw, the latest version of Go can be installed via DietPi-Software:

apt autopurge golang
dietpi-software install 188

This pulls the latest upstream build while the Debian package is several versions older :slight_smile:.

As alternative to /home/pi you could use /home/dietpi. Latest Raspberry Pi OS doesn’t ship with the pi user anymore either, but one is offered to create a custom login user now on first boot. Something we wanted to do with DietPi as well when time allows.

Thanks, I currently have go1.15.15 installed.
Snowflake should now run according to the tutorial from my second link.

Let’s see, I will look again in the next days for the golang update :slight_smile:

MichaIng

Had now installed it again via DietPi-software 188 → but I still have go1.15.15 linux/arm.
Do i have to uninstall the old version before i install the 188 again?

by the way: root@Snowflake:~# tail -f /var/log/snowflake/snowflake.log
May 3 14:39:45 Snowflake snowflake[20734]: 2022/05/03 12:39:45 In the last 1h0m0s, there were 6 connections. Traffic Relayed ↑ 59 MB, ↓ 4 MB.

AnyDesk_xcsVExth7o.png

Have you purged the APT package and rebuilt snowflake?

Also restart the shell (logout+login) to update the Go paths in the environment.

first uninstalled it via dietpi-software.
then again.

sudo apt-get remove golang-go
sudo apt-get remove --auto-remove golang-go

Paths remained, but version is now up to date. Thanks

Great. Now I see that your second link contains this way of installing Go from upstream builds as well. There is also a step to add the Go paths. If you followed this, that care that paths are not set doubled: dietpi-software adds them for all users via /etc/bashrc.d/dietpi-go.sh, if I’m not mistaken (currently on the road).