Installation of Virtualbox into dietpi PC x86_64

Good morning,

I’m trying to install virtualbox in Dietpi in my PC x86_64 (processor: Interl Cleron)

on terminal:

sudo apt install virtualbox-6.1
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 virtualbox-6.1 : Depends: libc6 (>= 2.34) ma la versione 2.31-13+deb11u4 is about to be installed
                  Depends: libssl3 (>= 3.0.0~~alpha1) but it is not installed
                  Depends: libstdc++6 (>= 11) but the version 10.2.1-6 is about to be installed
                  Depends: libvpx7 (>= 1.10.0) but it is not installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Someone can understand how to install missing addictions :worried:
Thanks to all

Quite simple, your system is trying to install a dependency not fitting. Package libc6 version 2.31-13+deb11u4 is the one available on Debian Bullseye. However, your system is looking for a package version >= 2.34. This one is available on Debian Bookworm (testing repository) only. Debian -- Package Search Results -- libc6

Did you add VirtualBox source repository yourself? Can you share following

for i in /etc/apt/sources.list{,.d/*.list}; do echo "$i:"; cat "$i"; done

EDIT1
And following pls

apt show virtualbox-6.1

EDIT2

virtualbox-7.0 is available already Index of http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/pool/contrib/v/virtualbox-7.0

On a testing VM it installs fine

root@DietPiVM5:~# dpkg -l virtualbox*7*
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name           Version                      Architecture Description
+++-==============-============================-============-=================================
ii  virtualbox-7.0 7.0.0-153978~Debian~bullseye amd64        Oracle VM VirtualBox
root@DietPiVM5:~#

I added the repository found on the Virtualbox website.
Yes, I have no problem installing version 7.0 … it is enough for me to work without problems

/etc/apt/sources.list:
deb https://deb.debian.org/debian/ bullseye main contrib non-free
deb https://deb.debian.org/debian/ bullseye-updates main contrib non-free
deb https://deb.debian.org/debian-security/ bullseye-security main contrib non-free
deb https://deb.debian.org/debian/ bullseye-backports main contrib non-free
deb [arch=amd64 signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/oracle-virtualbox-2016.gpg] https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian jammy contrib

directory “/etc/apt/sources.list.d” is empty

Thanks Joulinar

I do not recommend adjusting the main sources.list file. Better to create an own one per application inside /etc/apt/sources.list.d

You added Ubuntu Jammy as operating system. But DietPi is based on Debian. Therefore, you need to use Bullseye.

1 Like

Ok, now I work … I changed from Jammy to Bullseye (a simple problem, I wasted 3 days )
I finally managed to install virtualbox-7.0 :grinning:

Yes, I learned to change the repository as little as possible
In the last weekend, I destroyed Dietpi at least 2 times and I reinstalled it at least 10 times (the experience teaches) :weary:

Thank you Joulinar for help

For those interested
Installing Virtualbox App on Debian 11 Bullseye - Linux Shout (how2shout.com)
but that is for the latest stable 6.1 I believe

Thanks WarHawk … Now the program is installed, but unfortunately VM does not work
Someone tried to use virtualbox-7.0 on Dietpi PC X86_64 ??

I followed your link

Citazione

dietpi@dietpi:~$ egrep -c '(vmx|svm)' /proc/cpuinfo
dietpi@dietpi:~$ grep -E --color '(vmx|svm)' /proc/cpuinfo
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr   sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology tsc_reliable n  onstop_tsc cpuid aperfmperf tsc_known_freq pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4  _1 sse4_2 movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes rdrand lahf_lm 3dnowprefetch epb pti ibrs ibpb stibp tpr_shadow vnmi f  lexpriority ept vpid tsc_adjust smep erms dtherm ida arat md_clear
vmx flags       : vnmi preemption_timer invvpid ept_x_only flexpriority tsc_offset vtpr mtf vapic ept vpid unrestric  ted_guest
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr   sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology tsc_reliable n  onstop_tsc cpuid aperfmperf tsc_known_freq pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4  _1 sse4_2 movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes rdrand lahf_lm 3dnowprefetch epb pti ibrs ibpb stibp tpr_shadow vnmi f  lexpriority ept vpid tsc_adjust smep erms dtherm ida arat md_clear
vmx flags       : vnmi preemption_timer invvpid ept_x_only flexpriority tsc_offset vtpr mtf vapic ept vpid unrestric  ted_guest

and the problem:

Some forums give as a solution to disable the UEFI Security in the Bios, but this function is not in the BIOS …The bios of my ACEPC T11 has few settings and the bios legacy is not present

Thanks

Hmm I guess the kernel driver needs to be installed. Probably there is a dedicated package for it, but it likely requires the kernel headers to build the driver. That would be:

apt install linux-headers-amd64

installed … “linux-headers-amd64” … last version (5.10.140-1)
No changes… it gives me the same mistake :expressionless:
Thank you MichaIng

this unit correct?
ACEPC T11 Review: specifications, price, features - Priceboon.com
If not…do you have a specific model and bios revision…it might need a new bios version to enable virtualization on the processor.

Worse comes to worse…get into bios and poke around without changing anything and see if you can see if there is something about virtualization, and there might be a way to disable UEFI to legacy
Haven’t found anything on the manual or bios online…might not be looking in the right place

you might need to upgrade the Linux package itself as well, so the headers match:

apt install linux-image-amd64
1 Like